The Media, Gersnet and the Peloponnesian wars

A book called " The Sun Wot Won It" [ 1992 ] describes how the newspaper ridiculed the Labour Party continually making them out to be idiots etc. The drip, drip effect was soon absorbed by the electorate and whenever anyone thought of the Labour party they thought of a bunch of idiots.

it's interesting that about ten years later a guy called fairclough released a book showing how new labour's use of collocational patterning (repeating the word 'new' in a million different contexts and combinations) in interviews and press releases totally manipulated the media into creating the impression that the labour government was all about the new, and change, and reform. it seems they learned their lesson, and perhaps we should too. :)

I think we have to bite back in a low key sort of way and choose our reactions carefully so as not to appear neurotic. We have to target who we complain to. For example, if the Retard prints something detrimental then we have to make our feelings known to the Sun. Let them slug it out while we keep a low profile.

a wise approach. i'm not sure why we can't just take the spanish approach and give up all pretense of objectivity. they have pro-madrid and anti-madrid papers, who are quite open about it, and don't bother masking their hate or love. i'd rather read someone who honestly hates rangers than one who disguises it behind nonsense, or fantasies of fighting sectarianism.

"Radical conservative"? What d'ya mean radical?

Conservative I've no problem with (God bless you Margaret) but radical? :)

it's all relative. love of maggie is relatively radical for our times. even the tories want to play it down ;) besides, it's fun to be a radical :spl:

it's all relative. love of maggie is relatively radical for our times. even the tories want to play it down ;) besides, it's fun to be a radical :spl:

No, I don't think we want to play it down, we just feel we ought to. Which is why we never look like we're enjoying anything. No matter how hard we try, it's hard to have fun with your head up your arse. And the few tories who still feel confident enough to speak their minds usually get a summary kicking by Tony's twin so there's narf all fun or radical about the (my) tories. I just liked Margaret.:)

It is fun to be radical though, just hard sometimes to know if you're being it or not.

i'm not sure why we can't just take the spanish approach and give up all pretense of objectivity. they have pro-madrid and anti-madrid papers, who are quite open about it, and don't bother masking their hate or love. i'd rather read someone who honestly hates rangers than one who disguises it behind nonsense, or fantasies of fighting sectarianism.

I'd agree with that. There can be no complaints of prejudice and bias then. There is no pretence. We all know the agenda.

The current situation can be quite damaging imo.

For example, the Record is still by some referred to as the Daily Ranger. Yet if anything, it is now pro-Celtic. But if people still hold it as a pro-Rangers paper and then see an awful lot of negativity about our club and fans then in people's minds it will heighten their view at what a despicable club and fan base we are.

Of course some, mainly those who like me waste too much time on internet forums, no their current agenda. But as any media instigated campaign amongst the support shows, we are in the minority and what about the greater number of fans who don't post here on VB'S, FF etc and even worse fans of other teams and from other countries?

I think that explains the situation rather well metaphorically speaking... :D :D

i'd expect your support, you get to be metaphorically right :) although shroomz'll hate you for being a neocon :P

Not at all Barry. I decided a wee while back to give the discussion of religion and politics in relation to football as much of a body-swerve as possible. I'm much happier letting those who revel (or is it wallow?) in the religious & politically fueled subjects & discussions just get on with it themselves. I'll chime in here and there, but in general I'd rather just discuss football on football forums. :)