Jerome R Jerome: 1 Man on a Mission

At last!

After years of signing pensioners, crocks and has-beens who never-were, Rangers seem to have captured a talented, big match player, one with a point to prove and actual fire burning in his boots: Jerome Rothen.

I doubt many were bowled over by his debut at Fir Park. But for a player used to the Parc De Prince, the Stade Gerland, and the cauldron of OM's Stade Velodrome, Motherwell's <cough> trim and tidy PauperDome could hardly have set his juices a-flowing, while the sight of his teammates huffing and puffing their way to a 0-0 draw would hardly have inspired.

What a difference tonight!

The workrate of Sebo crossed with Nacho, but fortunately with the ability of neither, you could see that this is the stage he will excel at. That brings with it the other side of the coin - that he won't be much cop when we travel to Rugby Park on a Tuesday night in January - but if he can keep us in Europe beyond Christmas, or even (whisper it) help us sneak into the last 16, won't that be a price worth paying?

I hope Walter Smith is brave enough, and flexible enough, to accomodate this cultured midfielder. Playing him through the wind and rain will bring little reward; those days are for Novo, or Fleck. If Rothen is let off the leash when the occassion demands it, I think we'll see the best of him - and that can only be a good thing for Rangers.

There is the downside. That is that Rothen is hardly trying his best on a Champions League night to impress us, or to show that he can cut in in Scotland. I'm quite sure he believes he should be playing at a 'bigger' club than Rangers, and sees us as a means to an end. Well, that's fine, too, I suppose. It's just how it is, and if he can push Rangers forward while he's here, so be it.

So while you're here, Jerome, more power to your left boot!

I think you are getting carried away mate, no disrespect, but he has not done enough for me to agree with what you are saying. The first half tonight I thought he was a bit of a passenger, a bit lazy, however he did come onto a game in the second half, as did the whole team, and he did play excellent in the latter stages. Steven Naismith was superb tonight for the whole match and he will be like a new signing for us and looks like he will go on to be the player I have always thought he could be. Yes, Rothen could be a great signing, and I for one hope so, but after so few games for us we have to give him time, and I would say the same if fans were slagging him. All in all it was a great result & performance tonight and sets us up nicely not only for the CL but retaining our title..............WATP

I think at the moment he's very like Sebo and Nacho, runs around a lot but his final ball is generally wanting. His set pieces weren't up to scratch either.

I think there is a lot more to come from him but he definitely needs to work on some aspects of his game.

Still, he looks not too bad for a player just settling in and short of match practice.

Well I didn't think we'd signed Beckham, so I wasn't expecting all that much from his dead balls; I can recall two or three final balls in the 1st half which were a whisker away from being perfection, one for Naismith and one for Miller, plus a cross for Naismith's knockdown to Mendes. He kept the ball better than any of the other players and although at times this meant he ran up a few blind alleys I can live with that.

Naismith was fantastic I agree - but I was blown away by Rothen tonight.

Kept the ball well and he even toke players on !!

His delivery wasnt good ? Confused, his ball into Papac for the header, the ball in which Naismith headered down to Mendes, the corner in that Whittaker had a good chance from, surely there is others as well. Also his cross come shot that nearly caught Lehmann out

Kept the ball well and he even toke players on !!

His delivery wasnt good ? Confused, his ball into Papac for the header, the ball in which Naismith headered down to Mendes, the corner in that Whittaker had a good chance from, surely there is others as well. Also his cross come shot that nearly caught Lehmann out

I agree, there was nothing wrong with his deliveries last night. He had 1 bad FK that the 1st man cleared but other than that he was excellent.

Fraser, it's 'took' not 'toke'. Fuckin' annoying reading that! :box:

Thought he had a good game and it's good to see someone with composure on the ball and even thought not the fastest now he's not scared to take players on and put in some decent crosses............

If nothing else he'll be exciting to watch.