My take on the France Ireland game

Check out the BBC's front page. Note how many available caption slots are used up for the Oirish plights. The BBC's main sports news story is the ROI being cheated. I've got a screenshot, but can't attach it because my forum limit is reached.

I didn't know the beeb was Oirish. :fish:

I didn't know the beeb was Oirish. :fish:[/quote]

That's something I've always pondered. The RoI is a foreign country every bit as much as Germany or France, yet their footy squad gets at least as much airtime and space as Wales or Scotland or Northern Ireland, if not more.:confused: Just because they are our neighbour, and have thousands of expatriates living here is no reason to pander to them. otherwise, why don't we get the same coverage for, say, the Polish national team?

I didn't know the beeb was Oirish. :fish:[/quote]

That's something I've always pondered. The RoI is a foreign country every bit as much as Germany or France, yet their footy squad gets at least as much airtime and space as Wales or Scotland or Northern Ireland, if not more.:confused: Just because they are our neighbour, and have thousands of expatriates living here is no reason to pander to them. otherwise, why don't we get the same coverage for, say, the Polish national team?

Why don't they go home ??? :)

Guest Macafelly

FIFA have ruled out the prospect of a replay.

For me Henry is a cheat, simple as that.

A great career tarnished by one single act of stupidity - what a shame.

FIFA have ruled out the prospect of a replay.

For me Henry is a cheat, simple as that.

A great career tarnished by one single act of stupidity - what a shame.

I fail to see why what Henry did was any different from the numerous deliberate fouls that are committed by players during a game and why his career should be tarnished because of it.

Guest Macafelly
I fail to see why what Henry did was any different from the numerous deliberate fouls that are committed by players during a game and why his career should be tarnished because of it.

The magnitude of the game for a start.

I am by no means suggesting he is only person in the game to have cheated, or will cheat but unfortunately due to it being such an important game, this incident stands out above most others.

there's a lot of nonsense talked about this...

Henry didn't give the goal...the ref did and any supporter that hasn't cheered a dodgy goal given to their own team is either deluded or a liar.

I dont think it was an act of stupidity...he made the chance for the goal that got his team to the world cup....defied the ref to give the foul and got the goal...not nice when it happens to your team and esp. in a WC qualifier but we took it in 1978

Henry does have previous but the coverage of this is way over the top

The magnitude of the game for a start.

I am by no means suggesting he is only person in the game to have cheated, or will cheat but unfortunately due to it being such an important game, this incident stands out above most others.

I kind of understand what you are saying, but surely all cheating is the same? Did Celtic not score a goal after a handball by Caldwell last season? That actually took place in Scotland but was largely ignored by the press (quelle surprise).

Any cheating affects the outcome of a game no matter whenever it happens, or how important a game is.

As I said earlier, that fact that the draw was fiddled is a far bigger issue of cheating that Henry's but is not making the same headlines.