My take on the France Ireland game

Firstly it was a disgrace that it took place. UEFA/FIFA changed the rules during the competition to give the "big" teams a better chance by seeding them. It's an utter disgrace and totally devalues the world cup.

FIFA's motto of Respect has been shown to be meaningless and they have cheated to try and help the teams that they want to qualify.

Good on Robbie Keane for speaking out and saying "They're all probably clapping hands, Platini sitting up there on the phone to Sepp Blatter, probably texting each other, delighted with the result, with France (getting through)."

The fact that both the ref and linesman were unable to see such a blatent hand ball (twice) is very difficult to believe.

However the reacttion that I'm hearing this morning on TalkSport was totally over the top, with calls for the game to be replayed and Henry to be banned for life or get a six game ban. For what? Deliberate hand ball? It's a yellow card offence (I believe) and that is all. He didn't do anything worse than anyone else who has deliberately handled the ball, or deliberately caused a foul or called for a throw-in when they knew it wasn't theirs. It's part of the game, and Henry was lucky enough to get away with it. Should every game with a deliberate hand ball be replayed? Of course not. People need to get a persepctive.

People should be looking closer at the ref and linesman than Henry in my book.

However, for me the defining memory of the game is not the hand ball but the fact that UEFA/FIFA cheated and fixed the draw, which has devalued the 2010 World Cup in my eyes.

A good post and I agree with all the points. All it has really proved is the case for tennis -type video technology. We would be in some state though if every player 'owned up' after such an incident; the ref's authority would be undermined as his decision is meant to be final, rightly or wrongly. The diving nonsense is a slightly different issue as it is clearly pre-meditated, whereas Henry's actions were in all probability, instinctive.

I think Henry single handedly (Like the pun?) destroyed his own reputation last night and the guilt was all over his face when speaking to Richard Dunne at the end, a replay should be the call but FIFA won't do that because there's probably loads of Frenchman working for FIFA.

The French aren't the team they used to be, too many individually brilliant players but they don't play as a team, they're lazy aswell. I think the Irish would have taken more fans to South Africa than the French too.

The world cup & South Africa have definitely lost out on major revenue there.

The Irish will perhaps challenge for a replay but it won't happen.

The answer: A video referee !!

I think Henry single handedly (Like the pun?) destroyed his own reputation last night and the guilt was all over his face when speaking to Richard Dunne at the end, a replay should be the call but FIFA won't do that because there's probably loads of Frenchman working for FIFA.

The French aren't the team they used to be, too many individually brilliant players but they don't play as a team, they're lazy aswell. I think the Irish would have taken more fans to South Africa than the French too.

The world cup & South Africa have definitely lost out on major revenue there.

The Irish will perhaps challenge for a replay but it won't happen.

The answer: A video referee !!

So if a replay was the call then should EVERY game be replayed where someone has cheated to get a goal ? It is bordering on the ludicrous.

Video replays are needed, that much is simple.

Something which is also being forgotten is that there is no saying Ireland would have qualified without the cheated goal. They may not have anyway, although I concede that they at least would have had a chance of qualifying (or going out) fairly.

Henry cheated but the reaction to it is overkill.

Any player would try and do the same,IMO, he got away with it,if it had have been a Scotland player to take us through to the world cup finals I don't think any of us would be bothered that much,it's up to the officials to see these type of incidents