WALTER SMITH hints that Boyd could start against Stuttgart

By Andrew Dickson

WALTER SMITH has hinted Kris Boyd could start against Stuttgart in the Champions League tomorrow night after scoring five goals in his last four games.

The prolific striker is in fantastic form and gave a really good display again at the weekend as Kilmarnock were beaten 3-0.

Kris Boyd scores for Rangers against KilmarnockBoyd scored the opener against his old club to bring his tally against the Ayrshiremen to 14 goals in as many matches.

More than that, however, it was his overall display that caught the eye and the big hitman was heavily involved in setting up a stack of chances for his team-mates too.

Smith has taken note of the improved showings Boyd has been giving lately and is now contemplating giving him his first start in European football's top club competition.

Doing so would most likely mean switching from the traditional 4-5-1 continental formation to a more attacking 4-4-2 system.

That news will be welcomed by the Ibrox faithful who have often looked for a more positive shape in European ties - and with Boyd at the forefront.

Smith said: "You're always tempted to play him. Anybody who gets his number of goals is always someone you'll consider.

"There have been some games where leaving him out has worked out okay and there have been some where I've wished I'd put him in.

"Tomorrow night's game comes into the category where I'll have to figure out whether to play him or not. You'll have to wait and see."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/articles/kris-on-my-mind-20091123_2254024_1883371

I think Boyd deserves this CL start & it's also time to ditch the 4-5-1 at home as well because it just hasn't been working. Hope Walter goes 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 & that we have a real go at Stuttgart because we desperately need the victory & the 3 points to save face & some credibility in this CL group, but more importantly to stay in Europe which means much needed cash for the club.

There is going to have to come a point where we start to believe in Boyd , this will we wont we play him in big games does neither the club nor Boyd and favours , as it just gives our enemies ammunition to throw about whenever the subject of him playing comes up .

There is going to have to come a point where we start to believe in Boyd , this will we wont we play him in big games does neither the club nor Boyd and favours , as it just gives our enemies ammunition to throw about whenever the subject of him playing comes up .

It also lowers Boyd's transfer value. We can't really count the Brum offer that was accepted because the club were supposedly desperate for cash, so not counting that I'd have thought that Boyd's transfer value if moving from the SPL to England should be �£5m+. Obviously we need to renew his contract as well because that seriously messes up his value. Not that I want the club to sell him, far from it, but it would be devastating to see him sold for peanuts.

While I wouldn't mind seeing a 442 formation at home, it should be remembered we did lose most of our goals at home in the last two games while really going on the attack. It was no defensive formation, negative tactics or anti-football that were to blame for the goals - quite the opposite.

Just saying 4-5-1 didn't work is not showing a very good memory of what happened.

Fair point Cal, but changing formation as well as personnel mid-game can lead to calamity & that should be taken into account as well. I can't say I'll be satisfied if Walter fields a 4-5-1 with Miller up front on his own & Boyd is sitting warming the bench.

its a bit fucking late for walter to come out and hint that he may play boyd Given the amount of goals hes scored.

has he just noticed this weekend how his goal tally is?

I hope to hell boyd does play and scores a bucketful and we can all say i told you so wattie!

It's looking like we might not know till tomorrow evening whether he's passed as fit to play, but if he is & gets a start I hope he takes the chance by the scruff of the neck & scores at least one goal.

When you had Cousin playing well and winning matches in Europe, dropping Boyd was an option.

When we're continually getting beat or drawing games we should be winning, then dropping Boyd for impotent attackers is not an option.

I don't see how Walter can claim it is a game where he has to think about playing him or not. It's a no-brainer. At least it should be.