Darrell King: Boyd deserves new contract

The issue of contracts is one, among certainothers, that has dominated headlines coming from Ibrox in recent weeks.

Now that the managerial teamââ?¬â?¢s situation has been clarified, until a new buyer arrives ââ?¬â?? whenever that may be ââ?¬â?? the focus of contractual matters has turned onto the players.

Six Rangers stars are in the last six months of their deals; but only one occupies the thoughts of every Rangers fan.

Kris Boyd, the great enigma, as he has so often been labelled. For me, there is no real enigma. He scores goals, plenty of them, and should be secured on a new deal as quickly as possible.

If the most recent soundbites are accurate, there has been a relaxation of the financial noose placed around Ibrox by the banks.

To such an extent that talks with the representatives of Boyd, Nacho Novo, Kirk Broadfoot, Davie Weir, Stevie Smith and DaMarcus Beasley will soon begin.

Boydââ?¬â?¢s agent, Mark Donaghy, should be the first one in the door at Murray Park ââ?¬â?? as a matter or urgency.

Firstly, his client is absolutely right to demand parity with those at the club who take home much more on a weekly basis than he does, yet contribute far less.

Only Boyd, the club and Donaghy know the fine details of his wage, but if we are to believe some of the figures, he earns around �£9000 a week.

Those were the figures mentioned a year ago when Birmingham came in and tried to lure him south after Rangers accepted a bid in excess of �£3million for his services, only for the wage packet on offer to fall short and scupper the deal.

At the weekend, just before he blasted home another double to take his SPL goals tally to 153 ââ?¬â?? now just five behind Henrik Larssonââ?¬â?¢s record ââ?¬â?? Boyd was being linked with moves to Turkey, Spain, Germany and England. Given his goals haul, that is not surprising.

But the real issue here is about Boyd and Rangers. A decision has to be made, and straight questions asked. Do you want to stay? How much are you offering?

For me, it�s that simple. Here we have a dyed-in-the-wool Rangers fan who loves playing for the club and his goals, no matter the holes people want to pick in his record, are crucial.

Take him out of the side, even with money to replace him, and where would Rangers� title defence be?

I think, if the money is right, Boyd�s first option would be to stay. He is settled, as is his family, and he knows the beat he pounds every week.

He still has time to move away in the future and be a success trying something else.

All he has to do to see evidence of that is look at his pal Barry Ferguson thriving on a new lease of life at Birmingham.

Rangers, then, ought to show Boyd the money. A decent contract, given that it�s the most important of his life so far, should be offered to a player who deserves huge praise for the way he has kept going, despite all the knocks to his confidence.

darrell is spot on give boyd a 3 year deal worth 12 grand a week and everybody will be happy

Boyd has if certain utterances are to be believed, an agreement with AM sanctioned by Birmingham's new owner reputed to be �£40k + per week, how far do people expect loyalty to stretch in this day and age. Also not forgetting that the Turks allegedly put �£50k up as an offer.

Strangely enough I heard that DJ has changed from his stance of the bank calling the shots, to it having nothing to do with the banks at all, what a difference a day and a look at the facts makes.

Edited by wabashcannonball

It's certainly good that the club are now in a position to offer Boyd a contract as the bank wouldn't allow them to do so until recently.

If only the bank hadn't been putting a stop to new contracts then perhaps Boyd would have been tied up some time ago.

Boyd has if certain utterances are to be believed, an agreement with AM sanctioned by Birmingham's new owner reputed to be �£40k + per week, how far do people expect loyalty to stretch in this day and age. Also not forgetting that the Turks allegedly put �£50k up as an offer.

Strangely enough I heard that DJ has changed from his stance of the bank calling the shots, to it having nothing to do with the banks at all, what a difference a day and a look at the facts makes.

What utterances and from whom?

The Birmingham connection Frankie is oft spoken of in The Plough Inn Tarbolton, a favoured haunt of KB, the Turkish connection has been well documented and posted here, now whither any of anything is fact is another matter. I am of the opinion that KB is and will be leaving Ibrox, who could blame him, his treatment at the hands of the management and some supporters has been less than comforting, the �£15k wasted on the Frenchman could have been assigned for KB, job done no tears.

Bochum have confirmed they are keeping tabs on prolific Rangers striker Kris Boyd.

More...

Bochum have confirmed they are keeping tabs on prolific Rangers striker Kris Boyd.

Boyd's future at Ibrox remains up in the air with his current contract due to expire in the summer.

A number of clubs, including Hull City, Newcastle and Middlesbrough have been credited with an interest in the former Kilmarnock ace and Bochum have confirmed they are admirers.

The German outfit have been impressed by Boyd and have hinted they could make a move for the former Scotland international.

"Yes, we have had Boyd watched," Bochum sporting director Thomas Ernst told The Herald.

"His goal record is really good."

Boost

Meanwhile, Rangers have been handed a boost with the news that Madjid Bougherra has been given permission by Algeria to play in their Christmas clash at Hibernian, but he will almost certainly miss the Old Firm derby with Celtic in January.

Bougherra had been hoping to convince national team boss Rabah Saadane to allow him to skip the start of his country's pre-African Nations Cup training camp.

Algeria have relented to allow Bougherra to feature in the game against Hibs on 27th December, but it is unlikely he will be available to play against Dundee United or Celtic on 30th December and 3rd January, respectively.

"I want to play as many games as possible for Rangers before the African Cup of Nations," Bougherra told the club's official website.

"I have done my best to get permission for more matches but there are rules saying I need to report to the Algeria squad.

"I have at least been given authorisation to play against Hibs and I am very pleased about that.

"It is an away match which will be very difficult. In many ways it is like a derby so I am happy I'm going to be available for it."

Edited by Frankie

The Birmingham connection Frankie is oft spoken of in The Plough Inn Tarbolton, a favoured haunt of KB, the Turkish connection has been well documented and posted here, now whither any of anything is fact is another matter. I am of the opinion that KB is and will be leaving Ibrox, who could blame him, his treatment at the hands of the management and some supporters has been less than comforting, the �£15k wasted on the Frenchman could have been assigned for KB, job done no tears.

With respect, I think we all have heard people in pubs (and elsewhere) talk about players but in the absence of the facts you often desire from others, I'll keep the salt handy for pinching...

I agree Rothen's weekly wage (if it is the figure you quote as I've heard different) would be better placed for other resources but if he leaves soonest then perhaps it can be. Danny Wilson's future is equally important while the likes of Novo, Broadfoot and Beasley have shown they are useful squad players also out of contract next summer.

That doesn't leave a lot of room for flexibility and even less for sentiment - Mark Donaghy will be especially pressurising as millions are there to be made for him and his client. Nonetheless Boyd must be re-signed by Rangers and we can only hope that will happen. And I think it will - probably announced just before the Old Firm game.