Sporting Lisbon agree ââ??¬1.5m deal for Pedro Mendes

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Sporting-Lisbon-agree-15m-deal-for-Rangers-midfielder-Pedro-Mendes/4733/

ortuguese giants Sporting Lisbon have agreed a ââ??¬1.5 million euro fee with Rangers for veteran midfielder Pedro Mendes .

Mendes would welcome a move to Sporting Lisbon as it would aid his quest for a place in the Portugal World Cup squad.

The 30-year-old midfielder has not played for Rangers since their Champions League defeat to Unirea Urziceni in October due to a medial ligament injury.

The former Spurs and Portsmouth midfielder is contracted to Rangers until the end of next season and is set to return to action in their next SPL game against Hamilton.

Sporting Lisbon are set to bring in a raft of new players in the January transfer window after a poor first half of the campaign.

Mendes could well replace Miguel Veloso who has been linked with a move to Fiorentina and Barcelona in recent days.

Usual media rumour from an unusual source:

http://www.imscouting.com/about-us/

I'd guess we'll be tempted at such a fee for an aging player perhaps unlikely to play all that often when everyone is fully fit.

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Sporting-Lisbon-agree-15m-deal-for-Rangers-midfielder-Pedro-Mendes/4733/

Usual media rumour from an unusual source:

http://www.imscouting.com/about-us/

I'd guess we'll be tempted at such a fee for an aging player perhaps unlikely to play all that often when everyone is fully fit.

With what he is on wage wise that would be not too shady a deal , however I would prefer as we all would that any money saved or brought in being used for player contracts , spend a penny to win a pound

I've already posted in the Boyd thread, it wouldn't make financial sense selling any player in January,and WS keeps telling us we don't need to sell.The monies gained from the CL is worth more than what we could raise from selling players,unless of course we get offered huge amounts for players,which we won't.

That is only 1.3 million quid. Whilst I accept he is "ageing" he is still only 30 and has a couple of good years in him. He may struggle to get a game but when you look at our bench on Sunday you see the very obvious need to keep as many experienced players as we can.

1.3 million is a joke IMO, regardless of his age.

I'd like to think we'd hold out for more but the reality of recent years has been that we rarely negotiate very effectively. In any case, I think Mendes has been particularly poor in his time at Ibrox and he wouldn't be missed.

Perhaps the cash will be used to offer Boyd a new contract?

The thing is though BD, as we keep being told we don't need to sell players, does that mean we don't need to sell players to renew any contracts that are running out ?.

I'd like to think we'd hold out for more but the reality of recent years has been that we rarely negotiate very effectively. In any case, I think Mendes has been particularly poor in his time at Ibrox and he wouldn't be missed.

Been particularly poor throughout his career actually. An average player whose reputation came from some Hollywood goals.

I remember how so many fans couldn't wait to see him in the CL. Well, he sure thrived there didn't he...

Mendes can move on, a player who never did it at Ibrox, nor anywhere else for that matter.

Been particularly poor throughout his career actually. An average player whose reputation came from some Hollywood goals.

I remember how so many fans couldn't wait to see him in the CL. Well, he sure thrived there didn't he...

Mendes can move on, a player who never did it at Ibrox, nor anywhere else for that matter.

To be brutally honest, he only came to Ibrox because he couldn't get a better offer in England, where managers were used to seeing him for the lazy drifter he is.

The thing is though BD, as we keep being told we don't need to sell players, does that mean we don't need to sell players to renew any contracts that are running out ?.

That's never been specified. What we have been told is that we have to work within the guidelines established by the business plan imposed by, sorry, agreed with the bank. That doesn't allow for us spending any cash on transfers, and allegedly gives us a little scope to offer Boyd a new contract, but it all depends on how much scope.

Given that no contract has apparently been offered, it suggests that there currently is very little available and further cash may need to be freed up from somewhere.