Mendes - UPDATE: Will join Sporting over next 48 hours

My only problem is that as usual it gets done right at the end of the window , now we will either do nothing or else it will be a last minute rush with the prospect of another Rothen type loan signing .

I really hope I am wrong as getting the right player in could really push us on , what chances an attacking wide player PLEASE

Although there are other central midfielders, there is only Davis who has any creativity. Let's hope that Davis doesn't get injured, or else that points difference could get eaten away.

I don't think keeping a 20k a week player as backup incase Davis, who has missed just 1 game all season, gets injured makes much financial sense, as much as we'd love to have options in reserve like we did in the Advocaat era. I know a few posters have suggested playing 4-4-2 with Mendes and Davis the CM partnership but in all honesty that was never, ever going to happen.