I have to laugh. Noone accused anyone of anything until you used the word "accusing"

You don't have to say "I am accusing you of..." for that to be the case.

I'm very suprised at how touchy some people can get from what i said about McArthur

:whistle:

Bickering pair of tarts.

As an aside, had Walter had enough wonga, he would have signed James McArthur some 18 months ago, so the 'he's still at Hamilton so not good enough' argument isn't really true in this case. That said, I've hardly seen him kick a ball, so he could be a combination of Sebo and Svensson - 'Sebsson' - some kind of mutated genetic disaster, who is shoved into a football shirt and sent our to lumber about the field. Who knows?

Fuck me, I think it's the rest of you that have blown this out of proportion.

I think it is a bit outlandish to say an untried kid at Hamilton would walk into our team when better players who have achieved more at our level (SPL) could not do it (e.g. Gow). Yes, he could contest as a squad player but the phrase "walk into" is usually reserved for someone of such star quality that is unthinkable they would not be guaranteed a start. I'm quite suprised so many seem to wish to defend what is a fairly ridiculous opinion. The rest of you need to go and check what some phrases mean or the context in which they are usually used. It's not Xavi we're talking about here.

I imagine Arfield, Kis Chow mein (or whatever he's called) and Zheng Zhi would all walk into our team too! :rolleyes:

I'm out of this thread as it's a moot point anyway.

It certainly IS a moot point because there's no bloody way that Walter and Ally are going to give Hamilton 1.5 to 2 million quid for McArthur when the club has very little money to spend. If they had 10 million to play around with I'd maybe have a different view on it, but I think I'd actually be horrified if they spent that sort of money on McArthur at this point in time. If someone else picks the lad up & he turns out to be a gem of a player, who really cares? There's plenty of gems out there.

man, nothing has happened. you said "thats disrespectful", i said "its not really", and you said "if its not disrespectful its just not right" and that was that. just like any other thing. no big deal. :)

I think it is a bit outlandish to say an untried kid at Hamilton would walk into our team when better players who have achieved more at our level (SPL) could not do it (e.g. Gow). Yes, he could contest as a squad player but the phrase "walk into" is usually reserved for someone of such star quality that is unthinkable they would not be guaranteed a start. I'm quite suprised so many seem to wish to defend what is a fairly ridiculous opinion. The rest of you need to go and check what some phrases mean or the context in which they are usually used. It's not Xavi we're talking about here.

I imagine Arfield, Kis Chow mein (or whatever he's called) and Zheng Zhi would all walk into our team too! :rolleyes:

If you think that the only players that could walk into our team are of the quality of Xavi and the likes, then i'm off to think of some more "rediculous opinions". But first, i've got to digest the most rediculous opinion of all. The one you just made!

Bringing this back onto the topic in hand, I watched the player quite closely during our recent run of 3 games against the Accies as I have heard for a long time the rumours that Walter really rates the kid, and he is a big bluenose and waiting for us to make our move.

It is fair to say that while the boy has some good vision and a decent engine, he was poor in the three matches and failed to have any control on any game, despite us playing poorly for large parts of all 3 games.

While 3 games might be enough for Ewan Chester to make his mind up about the player, I wouldn't write McArthur off for not lighting up the place in 3 games against the Champions, but it seems to me he is nowhere near the finished article, and would struggle to find the consistency required at a big club, much like Thomson, Whittaker etc have done in coming from a wee Scottish club to the Rangers.

I also think it is fair to say he has not progressed the way many had predicted he would, so any valuation of him would have to be much more realistic and certainly not in 7 figures, more like the �£250K-�£500K mark.

Of course Hamilton have invested heavily on the boy and believe he is their financial saviour with a big money move imminent given the interest shown from down south over the last couple of years, but that seems to have all gone quiet, and it could be implied that those teams have also lost interest due to his lack of progress.

Could be worth a punt at a realistic fee or as a Bosman, but anything over �£1M would be seen as a big mistake by this bear.

I'm surprised we haven't done (or at least tried) to do what some Spanish clubs have done for a while in that we sign players like this and immediately loan them back to their club for a further season or two while paying some of their wages. That way we don't sign players "for the future" only to let them rot in the reserves or on the bench if we feel they're not ready.

As far as McArthur goes, I've heard really good things about him from those who've seen him regularly, so I think he would be worth a look, but not as a priority.

Mike.

Indifferent circumstances I do think he would maybe be worth the gamble,however the predicament we find ourselves in then I don't think we should be looking to bring him in,surely we have young players who can be just as good as him if given the opportunity,we need established players who can come in and have an immediate impact,if we need anybody to come in