Poulsen: Thread updated with AZ Fan Thoughts

RANGERS have made a move to take Danish international Simon Poulsen on loan from AZ Alkmaar.

SunSport can reveal Walter Smith has contacted AZ boss Dick Advocaat in a bid to sign the left winger, 25, until the end of the season.

Poulsen is highly rated in the Dutch league, but he has been in and out of Advocaat's side this year. Smith hopes to get the go-ahead today from the ex-Ibrox boss.

Gers also made a bold bid to take midfielder Martin Petrov on loan from Manchester City.

But City boss Roberto Mancini has told the Ibrox club the Bulgarian is NOT available.

West Brom ace Chris Brunt was also on Gers' radar, but the Championship outfit wanted a loan fee which scuppered any potential agreement.

Gers look set to survive the transfer window without selling any of their key players, despite Sunderland's �£3.5million bid for Madjid Bougherra.

Meanwhile, reports in Portugal claim Rangers will pay HALF of Pedro Mendes' salary for the next 18 months.

Sources claim Sporting Lisbon only agreed to shell out the �£1million fee if Gers stumped up on the wages.

Mendes said: "I'm glad we reached an agreement because we had a lot of conversations

I very much doubt we would have let Mendes go if we have to pay part of his wages. Surely Sporting have the cash available to pay his wages. Only agreed to pay �£1m if we paid his wages well that seems a pointless deal but that reporting seems rather suspect.

I very much doubt we would have let Mendes go if we have to pay part of his wages. Surely Sporting have the cash available to pay his wages. Only agreed to pay �£1m if we paid his wages well that seems a pointless deal but that reporting seems rather suspect.

I hope not, hopefully the Sun doing it's usual.

If it is true, it's worrying.

Edited by chilledbear

Pete ?????

Does not get a game very often and recently has been moved back to LB. He does have Marten Martins(sp) in front of him who i rate very highly. The fact that three different managers have not fancied him maybe says a lot.

I have been checking the AZ websites and Came across:

The guy is just a Laugh.

A waste of space.

Couldn't pass a lamp pole.

The corner flag moves quicker.

No football intelligence.

On the news that Rangers want to loan him got this answer.

Lekker doen; Poulsen als linksback is het niet. Hij werd er zaterdag binnen een half uur drie keer uitgelopen door drie verschillende Groningers (op snelheid, door een verkeerde keuze en door dekking aan de verkeerde kant). Ik kan mij niet voorstellen dat Poulsen zoveel beter is dan jongens uit Jong AZ die linksback kunnen spelen.

Do it please. Poulsen is not a left-back. Three different Groningen players ran past him within a half hour through lack of speed, bad positioning and marking on the wrong side. I can't imagine we don't have a youth player who can't play better.

Of course this is from faceless people behind a keyboard.;)