Walter Fears The Summer - Another Warning

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/02/03/rangers-face-new-fears-over-future-as-walter-smith-is-ordered-to-slash-ibrox-wage-bill-further-86908-22015075/

WALTER Smith last night expressed fears for the future of Rangers as it emerged the club will be forced to offload more players this summer.

Less than 24 hours after Robbie Keane became Celtic's eighth new arrival and the highest player in SPL history Record Sport can reveal Smith has been instructed to drastically slash the wage bill.

Rangers raked in �£1million and reduced their operating costs by �£40,000 a week after the January departures of Pedro Mendes and Jerome Rothen.

But, Smith will not be allowed to use the savings to make an enhanced contract offer to Kris Boyd, who has an �£18,000-a-week deal sitting on the table. Instead the Gers boss must attempt to plot the downfall of Celtic while trimming his threadbare squad even further.

Smith, who saw a third transfer window pass without any purchases, is deeply concerned about the situation and feels it will only get worse until a new buyer is found for the club.

He said: "It's a bold move by Celtic and in many way they should be congratulated for doing that. Robbie Keane is an imaginative signing and one that will be a good one for them.

"From our own point of view we have known the situation for a long time. It's obviously in stark contrast to what happened at Celtic. The only thing that bothers me is this is a look into the future for Rangers Football Club and that's the way it seems to be.

"Unless something is done that is something that will continue to happen on a regular basis."

Smith admits Celtic have raised the bar with their January recruits, however, he is backing both himself and his players to meet the challenge.

He said: "With what's happened at Celtic means the lads will get a full test between now and the end of the season.

"It's a challenge they will look forward to. It's a challenge I look forward to as well.

"Since I came here nobody could ask any more from the group of players I have here.

"They have been brilliant in their whole attitude towards playing for the club.

"Guys who are out of contract are still giving 100 per cent and I was interested to read Steven Smith's article the other day about not playing.

"He typifies the attitude of a lot of players in that he gets fed up not playing but he comes into training every day and there is nobody more committed.

"If I ask him to play he comes in and gives 100 per cent.

"That is typical of the group we have and I can't speak highly enough of them."

Strange timing for this to come out. You'd think ra Cellic lost last night or something.....

Stevie Smith, Beasley and probably Boyd will leave on frees, and Bougherra will be sold for around �£4.5 million. Can't see much more than that if we plan on keeping any kind of capable squad

Think we'll manage to get a bit more than that for Bougherra but I suspect the rest of your post may be correct.

Of course, qualifying for the CL would make all the difference and hopefully we'd manage to retain Boyd then.

Nah, I think Weir will step back - even if again this season his consistency of performance is quite incredible. I'd be inclined to keep him as a registered player/coach though as his effect on on our defence should never be under estimated.

Selling Bougherra will enable us to bring in at least one new centre back to replace him - probably Tonel from Sporting.

If Steve Davis form keeps up we will definitely have bids for him and they probably wont be refused or discouraged

How do you know this?

We paid 3M for Davis, he's a lynch pin of the squad and Walter rates him as his best player, maybe even the best in Scotland. Why would we accept any old bid for him? A business case is made for any sale and to me we could only sell Davis if a "silly" offer comes in.

We supposedly turned down offers in January for Boyd and MacGregor, so why roll over in the summer?

I think if we get offers of 8 or more million for any player, we'll probably accept the money as we can do a lot with that kind of cash - ie pay off a bit of debt and bring another couple of �£2M players in.

You probably think you sound wise and if it happens you can say, "I told you so", but it's best to remember there are a few people looking pretty stupid after stating as fact that the likes of Boyd, MacGregor or Bougherra would definitely be off in the last window - and Rangers "would be easy to deal with".

Tonel again! Is he out of contract or do you think talks took place at the same time as the Mendes transfer?

He just seems to be the name linked most and will be entering the last year of his contract soon so Sporting may wish to cash in early...

He also gave an interview in Portugal 2 weeks ago where he didn't rule out an exit.