Champions v The BHEASTS -Build Up Thread

I was thinking about being conservative in this (and Smith no doubt will) but I'd just love us to go for the jugular, good and proper.

McGregor

Whittaker

Weir

Bougherra

Papac

Davis

Thomson

McCulloch

Beasley

Boyd

Miller

I would move Davis in one and take out McCulloch with Novo coming in.

Boruc

Hinkel

O'Dea

Thompson

Braafheid

McGeady

Brown

N'Guemo

Kamara

Keane

Fortune

Eaaaaaaaaaaaasy :whistle:

If they go with Kamara and McGeady wide and Keane and Fortune up front, our defence will get their toughest domestic test in years. I dread the idea of them playing 4-2-4 and us playing a really defensive midfield with Whittaker and Davis wide because if we were to go behind, i'm not sure we'd have the ability to turn it around (not least because only once in the last 15 years has a team come from behind to win an OF league game!)

If they go with Kamara and McGeady wide and Keane and Fortune up front, our defence will get their toughest domestic test in years. I dread the idea of them playing 4-2-4 and us playing a really defensive midfield with Whittaker and Davis wide

That's what I'm worried about. People think Keane is past it. Maybe he's not the player he was 2 or 3 seasons ago but he's still got the game to rip us to shreds. He needs a kick to the leg early doors to put him off his game.

I'd like Walter to throw a bit of a curve ball in this one.

I'd like to see Bougherra at right back with a bit of license to push forward and put their defence under pressure. We can always put Whittaker at RM with the remit of covering Bougherra's nomadic runs and providing support where appropriate.

I see this doing a few things:

1) It would give us a bit of width - something which has been lacking recently.

2) It would allow Davis to play CM where he is more effective.

3) It would force their wide players to play more defensively, thus blunting the threat posed by their playing 4-2-4

4) If their wide players DON'T track back, this will drag their central defenders and central midfielders out wide which will create more space for Boydy and Miller to exploit.