Rangers goalkeeper Allan McGregor has been questioned by police over alleged "inconsistencies" in his claim to have been assaulted outside a nightclub.

McGregor had alleged the attack happened in Bath Street, Glasgow, on Saturday night.

It was reported that McGregor was treated in hospital for facial injuries after being violently assaulted.

The 28-year-old keeper was not interviewed under caution and he was not charged by police.

BBC Scotland understands he was taken from Rangers' Murray Park training ground to Stewart Street police station where he was questioned for about two hours.

Detectives arrived at Rangers' training ground while the club's manager Walter Smith was giving a press conference.

The goalkeeper, who was left out of the Scotland squad because of his injury from the incident, trained as normal.

Smith had declared him fit and available for selection ahead of Sunday's crunch Old Firm match.

Police inquiries into this incident are continuing, as well as into a previous allegation of sexual assault, made some months ago against the goalkeeper.

Rangers have refused to comment on the situation.

BBC

You have got to wonder where the police got any additional information that they wished to "clear up", and I suppose we are to assume that this needed doing 2 days before the OF game.

I smell Timmy's hand in all of this as usual, they are truly desperate low-life scum.

Their obsession with Rangers is frightening

You have got to wonder where the police got any additional information that they wished to "clear up", and I suppose we are to assume that this needed doing 2 days before the OF game.

I smell Timmy's hand in all of this as usual, they are truly desperate low-life scum.

So you're saying Celtic are now influencing the police?

Only days after we laugh at timmy for claiming refs are out to get them, some of us are claiming conspiracies against our club by the police!?

Only days after we laugh at timmy for claiming refs are out to get them, some of us are claiming conspiracies against our club by the police!?

I'd have thought that there's a pretty good chance of there being tim cops involved in the McGregor investigations. Strathclyde Police is littered with them.

If somebody was to go to the police and say they had seen something or heard something,would this qualify as additional information?,if that somebody was a MOPE??, it certainly wouldn't surprise me in the slightest :)

I'd have thought that there's a pretty good chance of there being tim cops involved in the McGregor investigations. Strathclyde Police is littered with them.

Was it that important that they visited McGregor 2 days before the most important Old Firm match of the season in the middle of the last full training session ? McGregor is hardly a madman on the loose.

Does anyone expect them to visit Ibrox 5 minutes before kick off on Sunday ?