Everyone is replaceable but whether they can do as good a job as a successful outgoing manager is anyone's guess.

As PLG showed, it's never guaranteed and Celtic fans wanted rid of Strachan only to bring in Mowbray...

Smith is not the be all and end all of Rangers, we have survived without him before and we will survive after him.

I've yet to see anyone even hint that he is. Thinking we'd be better off keeping him than appointing any of the realistic alternatives does not mean that the person thinks Walter is irreplaceable

I've yet to see anyone even hint that he is. Thinking we'd be better off keeping him than appointing any of the realistic alternatives does not mean that the person thinks Walter is irreplaceable

Actually, not unusually for this forum, I think we all basically agree with each other on the subject of Walter Smith. In the most part, it's only our confidence or otherwise in the future that varies from poster to poster. :)

Smith is not the be all and end all of Rangers, we have survived without him before and we will survive after him.

Strange way of putting it. We almost didn't survive without him as the spending in the Advocaat years pretty much crippled us. The success rate after the Dutchman's first two seasons was incredibly poor compared to when we have Smith in charge.

He may not be the be all and end all but he's obviously not easily replaceable. Jock Wallace couldn't come back and be successful and so it is before him you have to look to find a Rangers manager who can match up to Walter, not only for success on the field but also for commitment to the club.

He is maybe not indispensable but neither is he in the least bit dispensable.

The point is - be careful what you wish for.

I wish for someone who doesn't play players out of position, someone who doesn't play with one up at home, someone that has the tactical ability to advance us in europe, I will settle for Jose.

Big Jock never had a load of dosh nor a selik side intent on implosion, I very much doubt any team of Jock's would have let the tenth title slip from their grasp.