Again, good signing isn't the same thing as good player. It's not gushing with admiration to call someone a good signing, because it doesn't even imply you admire them overly as a player - just the job they've done in the team they are in. As I said above, KM is a hard player to like because of his distinct inability to do the basics, but nonetheless he's been a good signing.

You're right, a good player need not be a good signing, and vice versa. But in terms of comparative status, one is as much a moot point as the other. In my opinion, he not a good player and he has not been a good signing, although he has been a better signing than a player.

As for gushing admiration, that merely served to describe the allocation of unwarranted attributes to a very ordinary player, simply because of the goal he scored on Sunday. If the accolades had described the goal or the importance of the goal, I could have agreed with them. What I was questioning was the elevation of his overall status and abilities over 3 or 4 websites, all exclusively on the basis of that one contribution in a cup final.

You're right, a good player need not be a good signing, and vice versa. But in terms of comparative status, one is as much a moot point as the other. In my opinion, he not a good player and he has not been a good signing, although he has been a better signing than a player.

Interesting you don't think he's been a good signing. It's a hard one to get a fix on because we can never know who would could have got instead of him, so it's impossible to make a like for like comparison. He's produced more than Novo this season, significantly more than Lafferty - but, then, he cost more than Novo, and less than Lafferty. It's hard to say.

As for gushing admiration, that merely served to describe the allocation of unwarranted attributes to a very ordinary player, simply because of the goal he scored on Sunday.

I must've missed the accolades - I think, in this thread at least, every positive comment about Miller was reasonably qualifed, even the OP. :D :D :D

If the accolades had described the goal or the importance of the goal, I could have agreed with them. What I was questioning was the elevation of his overall status and abilities over 3 or 4 websites, all exclusively on the basis of that one contribution in a cup final.

I think it's a natural outpouring, to some extent - but you're right, one good game does not a great player make. I think part of the reason KM is getting this treatment at is purely because of the contrast. We were all so, so, so dismayed in every sense about the KM signing that he hasn't been an absolute disaster makes the contrast seem so great, and may lead to hyperbole.

Miller is systematic of where we are as a club just now , as is Lafferty though I would prefer Miller any day .

Lets face it if we were on an even keel financially there are few playing for us who would still be there , however that cannot take away from what has been ( europe aside ) an absolutely amazing season that has went better than any of us could ever have dreamed off , so lets just enjoy it and see what the sumer holds .

Was Rod Wallace honestly any better a player than Miller? Who was our first choice forward in our most affluent days. Rendering the 'he's systematic of where we are as a club' argument wrong imo. The squad of 2003 to 2006 was systematic of how far we'd fallen (Ian Murray, Maurice Ross, Olivier Bernard, Paolo Vanoli, Bojan Djordjic, Steven Thompson, Francis Jeffers), the present one is an obvious step up

Was Rod Wallace honestly any better a player than Miller? Who was our first choice forward in our most affluent days. Rendering the 'he's systematic of where we are as a club' argument wrong imo. The squad of 2003 to 2006 was systematic of how far we'd fallen (Ian Murray, Maurice Ross, Olivier Bernard, Paolo Vanoli, Bojan Djordjic, Steven Thompson, Francis Jeffers), the present one is an obvious step up

Listen I was not just holding this season in isolation , in fact you bring up a lot of bad memories and very valid points , considering how bad this DECADE has been financially I am amazed by the success we have actually had

What I was questioning was the elevation of his overall status and abilities over 3 or 4 websites, all exclusively on the basis of that one contribution in a cup final.

Not from me. I've been praising him since late 2008. And as for his elevation in status and abilities, some might argue it's folk finally seeing what a minority have been going on about for a long time.

AKA - it's not an exaggerated elevation, it's a fair one which he deserves.

Guest BillyMac

miller is not for me there are a lot of games that he runs about like a headless chicken and his finishing can and does leave a lot to desired miller is a player in my mind give him time to think and the ball will anywhere but the place he thinks it will go

if he takes fist time there a chance that it might find the net once again miller is not for me

miller is not for me there are a lot of games that he runs about like a headless chicken and his finishing can and does leave a lot to desired miller is a player in my mind give him time to think and the ball will anywhere but the place he thinks it will go

if he takes fist time there a chance that it might find the net once again miller is not for me

Just a little point; you're aware this headless chicken who's got poor finishing is the third top scorer in Scotland?

I do agree that sometimes when he thinks he tends to make a hash of things, but then that criticism can equally be made of Boyd and Novo.

It seems that unless Miller plays magnificently every single game, the 'headless chicken' tag is thrown back at him

He was definitely a headless chicken in his younger days, and that has unfairly stuck.