Calm down lads. Miller got one thing right on Sunday, otherwise he was as profligate and talentless as ever. He did the hard thing right and not for the first time but, please, don't anyone get so carried away as to say Kenny Miller is a good football player. That would be ridiculous and would fly in the facte of what everyone can see with their own eyes.

Grateful for that goal on Sunday? Of course. Congratulations to Kenny Miller? Naturally. But hold the gushing admiration because he still couldn't trap a bag of cement or hit a hillside with his banjo.

Profligate and talentless? We must be witnessing different Kenny Millers.

Not a good footballer? Again, must be witnessing different Kenny Millers.

He is no less profligate or talentless than Nacho Novo (whom I love to bits) who the vast majority of us (me included) are quick to gush with admiration over.

He is as good, if not better player than Kyle Lafferty who is also gushed over as appartently he's seven foot and plays the flute. A player defended by many due to the fact of his country of birth - an absolute disgrace IMO. However, like any player playing for the Rangers, I want Lafferty to succeed.

Cammy F

Its not gushing with admiration to say he has been a good signing wh has scored important goals.

Has he been a good signing? Compared with who?

Is he, for example, as good a signing as Colin Stein? As good a signing as Dado Prso? As good a signing as Michael Mols? No, of course not.

Then is he as good a signing as Kyle Lafferty? As good a signing as Farncis Jeffers ... or Egil Ostenstad? Yes, of course he is.

So is he good ..... or is he just not bad? What's your yardstick? Is he good for you but bad for me?

Calm down lads. Miller got one thing right on Sunday, otherwise he was as profligate and talentless as ever. He did the hard thing right and not for the first time but, please, don't anyone get so carried away as to say Kenny Miller is a good football player. That would be ridiculous and would fly in the facte of what everyone can see with their own eyes.

Grateful for that goal on Sunday? Of course. Congratulations to Kenny Miller? Naturally. But hold the gushing admiration because he still couldn't trap a bag of cement or hit a hillside with his banjo.

You beat me to it MF i agree with you totally. I have been stating regularly lately that he can't control a ball keeping it within 10 yards. He was absolutely crap on Sunday up until the goal. I didn't want him back because i didn't think he was good enough and i haven't really seen anything to make me think any different to be honest. He does have the lungs of an ox though and some of his mishits fly into the net so i suppose he deserves some praise.

The fact is both Miller and Boyd make up the best striking partnership in Scotland and when they are both on their game they are unstoppable,equally both of them have difficulty in trapping/controlling a ball most of the time.Both Miller and Boyd have improved generally and both of them score regularly, so for me he has been a good signing and listening to the Rangers fans sing his name surely has to mean they value him. We are all of course entitled to our own opinions on everything including how good a player is and what they bring to the team and what Miller brings to the team best is his willingness to run and create space which is a nightmare for defenders and great for our midfield and Boyd, but he is also scoring goals now so yes I would say he has been a good signing.

Is he, for example, as good a signing as Colin Stein? As good a signing as Dado Prso? As good a signing as Michael Mols? No, of course not.

Then is he as good a signing as Kyle Lafferty? As good a signing as Farncis Jeffers ... or Egil Ostenstad? Yes, of course he is.

So is he good ..... or is he just not bad? What's your yardstick? Is he good for you but bad for me?

Surely it is wrong to compare Miller to past players no?, comparing him to the players we have now and since he signed then IMO he has been a good signing

My criteria are fairly simple: scores important goals for the team he plays in, contributes to the team he plays in and his cost relative to the team he plays in. Do I think he is a great football player? Obviously not. But there isnt a great football player in our team. You seem to equate great football player with great signing - which is convenient if you dont like him, and want to argue against something easy, but not what was said at all. He is a workman like player who has proved to be a very good signing for us. His goals against Celtic and that one at the weekend make his fee worth it. Could we have won without him? probably, but if my aunty had baws she would be my uncle. He was bought, he has scored important goals - he has been a good signing.

Edited by bmck

Surely it is wrong to compare Miller to past players no?, comparing him to the players we have now and since he signed then IMO he has been a good signing

The only question is: is he a sgood as the players we might have signed instead of him?

My criteria are fairly simple: scores important goals for the team he plays in, contributes to the team he plays in and his cost relative to the team he plays in. Do I think he is a great football player? Obviously not. But there isnt a great football player in our team. You seem to equate great football player with great signing - which is convenient if you dont like him, and want to argue against something easy, but not what was said at all. He is a workman like player who has proved to be a very good signing for us. His goals against Celtic and that one at the weekend make his fee worth it. Could we have won without him? probably, but if my aunty had baws she would be my uncle. He was bought, he has scored important goals - he has been a good signing.

To be fair, the words "great player" and "workmanlike player" are yours alone. On the other hand, "gushing admiration" were the words I chose because that's what I thought it was.

Since there probably isn't such an absolute as "good player", what option is there but to compare Miller to players many of us have seen and can use as benchmarks?

Again, good signing isn't the same thing as good player. It's not gushing with admiration to call someone a good signing, because it doesn't even imply you admire them overly as a player - just the job they've done in the team they are in. As I said above, KM is a hard player to like because of his distinct inability to do the basics, but nonetheless he's been a good signing.