Rangers In For Goodwillie and McArthur

According to Keek Jackson:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2010/04/21/rangers-eye-summer-transfer-swoop-for-david-goodwillie-and-james-mcarthur-86908-22200562/

RANGERS are attempting to scramble together enough cash to launch summer bids for young guns David Goodwillie and James McArthur.

Walter Smith has identified Dundee United striker Goodwillie and Hamilton midfielder McArthur as two of his top targets IF he is allowed to dip into the transfer market.

But, although initial talks have been held with both clubs, the Ibrox manager has made it clear he is not in a position to table firm offers while he battles with the bankers for funds.

In fact, Smith has been told he will only be given the green light to make his moves if he is prepared to let some of his current squad go.

McArthur has been alerted to Smith's interest and is desperate to clinch a move to his boyhood heroes. But Rangers will need to cobble together a fee of around �£500,000 to get a deal done.

And it may take even more than that to convince United to sell Goodwillie who was crowned Clydesdale Bank Young Player of the Year on Monday night.

Rangers might need to find around �£750,000 just to tempt United to the negotiating table if they want to land the 21-year-old who still has two years to run on his current Tannadice contract.

Manager of the Year Smith is growing increasingly frustrated with the reluctance of Lloyd's Group to sanction spending.

He admits it might be impossible for him to win next season's title unless the money men invest in his squad.

Smith hopes to clinch a second successive championship this weekend even though he is now working with a core group of just 16 senior players.

Six of those - David Weir, Kris Boyd, Nacho Novo, DaMarcus Beasley, Stevie Smith and Kirk Broadfoot - are out of contract next month and Smith is desperate to line up replacements should any or all of them move on.

The manager hopes to be given a chunk of the �£12million bounty the club will pocket from entry to next season's Champions League.

But, despite repeated pleas for clarity over the summer budget, the manager and chief executive Martin Bain have been left in the dark over what percentage of the cash will be made available.

I'd have thought both players would cost more than the figures quoted and I see no reason for us going for McCarthur unless one of our existing central midfielders is moving on.

We're also linked with Craig Conway in the Daily Mail.

Can't say any of the above players enthuse me all that much... :(

Guest Flying Hippo

I don't understand why we'd be interested in McArthur. We already have 3 central midfielders, none of whom are likely to leave in the summer. Plus the boy wants to play in England and is being touted at �£2 million

I don't understand why we'd be interested in McArthur. We already have 3 central midfielders, none of whom are likely to leave in the summer. Plus the boy wants to play in England and is being touted at �£2 million

That's my thinking. Alex Neil and the lad Mensing are just as good anyway... :whistle:

Guest Flying Hippo

One criticism i do have of Walter is that when he has money, he does tend to buy in bulk rather than assess areas we need to strengthen

Remember the summer of 2008 we signed 3 strikers and were left with no midfield against Kaunas. And the summer previously he signed 3 players (Gow, McCulloch and Beasley) who had all been left wingers at their previous clubs. And Maurice Edu wasn't particularly needed, at the time anyway, given we had Ferguson, Hemdani, Thomson, Mendes and Davis. So i wouldn't be surprised if we signed McArthur and then tried to fit him in as best we can

One criticism i do have of Walter is that when he has money, he does tend to buy in bulk rather than assess areas we need to strengthen

Remember the summer of 2008 we signed 3 strikers and were left with no midfield against Kaunas. And the summer previously he signed 3 players (Gow, McCulloch and Beasley) who had all been left wingers at their previous clubs. And Maurice Edu wasn't particularly needed, at the time anyway, given we had Ferguson, Hemdani, Thomson, Mendes and Davis. So i wouldn't be surprised if we signed McArthur and then tried to fit him in as best we can

Yeah, agree with much of that.

I'd have thought it obvious we need a wide, creative player first and foremost as I'd prefer to use Fleck more than someone like Goodwillie who is pretty similar.

So much is up in the air at the moment that I think it could be a long transfer window. If a new owner doesn't come in, I think we have a few players we could move on to get a fee for which could then give Walter some money to spend. The amount of money we can hope to get might mean we need to sign the "best of the rest" from the SPL or possibly a couple of bosmans, but like Flying Hippo says, I'd hope we sign the right players for the right position.

Guest Flying Hippo

I'm dreading the summer to be honest. Of the 6 out of contract players, i think Weir will stay and the other 5 will leave. Bougherra will almost certainly leave, and i worry that Davis will also go if he thinks the squad is too weak to mount a challenge next season.

I'm dreading the summer to be honest. Of the 6 out of contract players, i think Weir will stay and the other 5 will leave. Bougherra will almost certainly leave, and i worry that Davis will also go if he thinks the squad is too weak to mount a challenge next season.

Yeah, the squad turnover is quite worrying.

However, I think only Bougherra, Boyd and Steven Smith will leave and they can be replaced by Webster, Velicka and Wylde to an extent.

Obviously a decent fee should be expected for Bougherra so I'd like to think that - and the likely CL income - would enable us to spend a few million at least to help keep Novo and Broadfoot whilst persuading Davis and Wilson to stay.

A new owner may or may not help as well.

According to Keek Jackson:

I'd have thought both players would cost more than the figures quoted and I see no reason for us going for McCarthur unless one of our existing central midfielders is moving on.

Players are worth what the market can and will pay and there's no teams in Scotland with any money. Outside Scotland there is little interest in our players except in lower divisions, and they don't have any more money than Rangers.

If the SPL had been riding high or if the OF were flush and after the same players, then the prices would rocket.

The fact is, with the crappy TV deal, the clubs can't afford to turn down the odd half million.

Walter obviously rates McCarthur ans may try to get him for a reasonable fee now rather than see him go to England where he wont be able to afford him in the future a l�¡ Dorrans.

However, I do not see central midfield as an area we need to strengthen especially with Edu, Thomson and McCulloch unlikely to move and Davis (arguably our most effective central midfield player) unable to command a place in central midfield - or could Davis be moving?

We should be concentrating on the wide areas and looking to sign a striker capable of playing up front on his own (Walters Euro preference) that is mobile, good in the air and reasonably prolific.