If I was trying to look at it from Boyd's point of view I can imagine him being tempted by the EPL so that he can try to improve further as a player by regularly playing against better quality than the SPL, but to do that he'll need to get good runs of games down there and not just be bench-warming.

I can't really see how the likes of Boyd will want to regularly play against better quality teams. There seems to be some kind of consensus, including Walter Smith, that he's not so effective against better quality teams. For a guy who thrives on scoring goals I think he'll be a lot less happy playing now and again for a middling EPL team and struggling to score, than regularly playing and scoring for Rangers, and will most likely spend a fair bit of time on the bench.

I really don't think it's anything to do with "professional advancement", instead I believe it's all down to filthy lucre. 100%. Nothing else. That's it.

And if you're devastated by it then just have a think back to the second half of last season

It's still fresh in my mind. He scored more goals in the first half of the season than most SPL strikers score in a whole season - more than the 130k p/w Jobbie Keano scored in half a season. Boyd then has to have a relatively serious operation for a hernia and is out recovering from it for around 6 weeks or so. He then returns to the squad, but never seems back to his best following the operation and subsequent lay-off. He may have been rushed back sooner than he should have been.

If you're shocked by this news then you only have yourself to blame for being so naive

And if you're devastated by it then just have a think back to the second half of last season

I don't think we're shocked or I am not anyway. For me it works up here for him as in he scores more than the rest that won't happen in the EPL, he'd be a rich man playing for us along with winning medals, playing in europe (ok maybe not), he could become a legend here but is going for more money and playing in a better league so i can see that side as well and maybe he's bored up here but he'll be going to a much lesser team.

i'm certainly not devastated as no player is bigger than Rangers, they all leave sometime, i'm just sad to see him go just now as his goals still helped us win the league last season and the season before, if he never done as well in the first half of last season we wouldn't have won the league this year.

So Kris Boyd wasn't wanting stability at Ibrox, he simply wanted more money? Money really is the root of the majority of society's problems; I'm not so much surprised at this, more amazed that Walter has gone so extraordinarily public about it.

He's literally said 'he wants more money'.

btw, we will cope without Kris Boyd. Better players have left us in the past.

If Newcastle Utd over him their no 9 shirt he'll be off their like a flash!! Don't think anyone was given it last season as the manager thought no one deserved Alan Shearers 'mantle' but if they offered it to Boydy that would definitely tempt him. The location of such a move would also appeal to him.

I also disagree about some of the comments about going to a 'smaller' club not developing him as a player. I'd just point to Steven Fletcher as an example. Went to Burnley, probably the smallest team in the league, and had a terrific season and I wouldn't be surprised if teams were sniffing about him in the close season and he'd go for a lot more now than what Burnley paid Hibs.

Would we have won the last two titles without him? Probably not.

But if he doesn't want to stay then I'd rather see him go now. I've lost count of the number of heroes who left less of a hole that we thought they would and then regretted their decision to leave. I'd absolutely love him to want to stay but if he doesn't then thank you and goodbye.

Is he going for the money or to improve himself as a player or maybe just fancies a new challenge? Who knows. If he is going after learning Smith is staying on and a further improved contract, then it would appear to be for the money. But that's his perogative.

We can't say that we wouldn't have won the last two titles without him, but he's clearly going to be difficult to replace. That said, assuming we get some more creativity and goals from our midfield for next season, we should be able to make up for his goals with Miller and a.n. other player up front surely?

I'm a big Boyd fan, but I'm quite optimistic to see how we line up next season and if it means we change the way we play at all.