I had to laugh when Heskey came on for Defoe...they are chasing goals and he brings on someone who cant score.

That sub made Capello look idiotic. Since when do you take off a likely goal scorer and replace him with a player that couldn't score in a brothel when you need several goals?? :eek:

Guest Flying Hippo
Aye, looked like it against the Serbians :rolleyes:

Because he scored a goal against Slovenia he can't possibly be a limited player?

He has quite literally no impressive attributes other than being an above average finisher. I could be talking about someone else here ;)

Oh aye, Slovenia, not Serbia - coffee time me thinks.

Defoe still scores in a far superior league to ours.

In 334 league appearances for West Ham, Bournemouth, Spurs and Pompey he has scored 138 goals. That isnt a bad return considering he was playing with some poor teams.

12 goals in 43 international appearances isnt too bad either.

You surprise me - for someone who wants more of an all-round player rather than Boyd you slag Defoe off.... Defoe is a very mobile, quick, agile striker who knows how to find the net.

"grotesquely limited" is way over the top IMHO.

"grotesquely limited" is way over the top IMHO.

I agree. Was he not only 21 when he transferred to Spurs for �£6m or �£7m? In the past couple of seasons at Portsmouth & Spurs he's got a scoring ratio of 1 in 2, which is very good for a striker in the EPL. 21 goals for Spurs last season would suggest that he's got something to offer a quality side playing in a quality league.

Graeme Souness is spot on. It baffles me why people think Ashely Cole is a "top" player. .

I agree. To be a top player you have to tick all the boxes which includes attitude unless you have a unbelievable level of ability like Maradona, Best, Gascoigne etc who were all a bit on the bad behavied side but had so much ability they could get away with it.

Cole is a good full back but I compare him to Stuart Pearce and would take Pearce in my All time England XI over Cole easily.

As for Defoe, I agree with Hippo on Boyd but not Defoe. Defoe is a good little forward and in a 4-4-2 should have started in all the games.

Mouthwatering quarter finals in store already. Germany v Argentina and Brazil v Holland.

I half fancied Chile to cause an upset last night but they didnt show up.

Edited by Gribz