Boyd agrees Boro move

Guest Flying Hippo
If Boyd signed a new contract, we might be able to sell in a years time and collect a fee. Letting someone like Boyd go for nothing, in our financial state, is crazy.

Blame Boyd for that. We accepted �£3.75 million for him and he refused to leave. Then a year later leaves on a Bosman. Another player (*cough* Miller) would be utterly detested for that

Guest Flying Hippo
I don't see many Novo's or Boyd's doing the rounds in the SPL right now...

Strikers of a better calibre than Boyd on a cheaper budget than �£3million are few and far between.

What striker is available on our budget that would score in more than 50% of games, put in a great shift in games he doesn't score in and score regularly against Celtic/European teams? I can't think of any and I certainly doubt our underfunded and underperforming scouting department will know of one either.

Needless to say the club will go down the lazy route of either signing no one, signing someone recommended by Willie McLies, or signing a Premiership/Championship has been who had a good season 7 or 8 years ago

Still doesn't mean Boyd was deserving of �£18,000 a week in the SPL though. If i had my way, we'd have no players on �£10,000 a week never mind 18

Still doesn't mean Boyd was deserving of �£18,000 a week in the SPL though. If i had my way, we'd have no players on �£10,000 a week never mind 18

I think our player wages should certainly be capped if the club's to be run profitably going forward from this financial pinch, but probably so that our top players are on 15k max' as opposed to 20k. Capping at 10k would be too low to attract any quality players and would probably end up in a riot because of us finishing 3rd or 4th in the SPL.

Guest Flying Hippo

I would be very happy with an unbreakable wage structure consisting of:

�£2000 - promising young player (Fleck, Wilson)

�£4000 - used fleetingly (players like Stevie Smith and our 2nd choice goalkeeper)

�£8000 - solid but unspectacular first team regulars (Papac, Edu, Thomson)

�£12000 - players who are absolutely vital to the team (Davis, Miller)

I don't believe that any player, regardless of who they are, should be paid more than 10-12 grand a week to play in a pitiful league like the SPL

A reduced wage structure - preferably linked to PRP based on Opta stats - is definitely agreeable but improbable given the money required for even the most average of players nowadays.

I don't believe that any player, regardless of who they are, should be paid more than 10-12 grand a week to play in a pitiful league like the SPL

In a sense I agree with you purely because I want to see the club being run in a way that's profitable even without European football revenue. On the other hand, I want us to be able to attract low EPL/high Championship standard players, but reducing wages to as low as you're talking about would have us shopping in League 2.

Guest Flying Hippo

Forget about England as a potential signings patch. �£12,000 is still more than double what other SPL teams can offer and you'd be hard pushed to find mid table French/Dutch/Norwegian clubs paying anywhere close to that. Trying to crack open a walnut with a sledge hammer is what got us into this mess in the first place

Edited by Flying Hippo

Blame Boyd for that. We accepted �£3.75 million for him and he refused to leave. Then a year later leaves on a Bosman. Another player (*cough* Miller) would be utterly detested for that

Perhaps he didn't want to leave, but has since realised Walter doesn't fancy him.

I don't blame him to be honest, WS isn't going to play him in Europe, if he goes for one up front.

Guest Flying Hippo

It was very selfish from Boyd imo, unless he honestly had no idea that he'd want a new challenge 12 months later (which i find very hard to believe)