Boyd agrees Boro move

Guest Flying Hippo

This was always going to crop up after he didn't immediately announce who he was joining. Bullshit i'd imagine. Though some of our fans would think it was Christmas if Boyd decided to stay, the idea of him being our joint highest paid player would sit VERY uneasily with me

I want Boyd to stay but only if he'd accept a fractional wage increase from his wage at present. Of course he wants more and after last season he is probably due a wee increase but I'd stop short at making him our highest or joint highest earner.

This was always going to crop up after he didn't immediately announce who he was joining. Bullshit i'd imagine. Though some of our fans would think it was Christmas if Boyd decided to stay, the idea of him being our joint highest paid player would sit VERY uneasily with me

Why's that mate? He's been our top scorer every season since he's been here. Goals pay the rent and when i last looked we've yet to sign anyone to replace him. So i'd rather put Boydy in the high earners rather than take a punt on someone who A: Most certainly won't score as many as him. And B: Take time to/may not settle at Rangers.

We all know Boyd's strengths and weaknesses so like most people I'm unsure that giving him circa �£20K per week makes all that much sense.

Until we look at the approximate costs of bringing in a replacement with a similar scoring record. The weekly wage wouldn't be much lower (if at all) and the fee would probably take most of our budget when we also need other players.

Not to mention the fact if we resign Boyd, his transfer value would help soften the blow of any rise in wage.

Guest Flying Hippo
Why's that mate? He's been our top scorer every season since he's been here. Goals pay the rent and when i last looked we've yet to sign anyone to replace him. So i'd rather put Boydy in the high earners rather than take a punt on someone who A: Most certainly won't score as many as him. And B: Take time to/may not settle at Rangers.

Because if he doesn't score, he contributes absolutely nothing

And in the SPL last season, he failed to score in 16 of the 31 games he played in (even i was stunned when i heard this stat)

�£18,000 a week for someone who contributes nothing in over half his games? This kind of wage should be reserved for someone like Davis who is never lower than a 7 out of 10. I'm just delighted we didn't panic and offer him �£30,000 a week or thereabouts, whilst selling Bougherra and Davis to finance it

Edited by Flying Hippo

�£18,000 a week for someone who contributes nothing in over half his games? This kind of wage should be reserved for someone like Davis who is never lower than a 7 out of 10. I'm just delighted we didn't panic and offer him �£30,000 a week or thereabouts, whilst selling Bougherra and Davis to finance it

At the same time Id like to see us put aside a decent wage for a good winger. We have no width in the team at all and I dont want Davis wasted out right for another year. With Davis and Fleck creating in the middle id say we have enough in lafferty and Miller upfront to get goals and Davis could easy get 10 himself playing in his proper role.

And in the SPL last season, he failed to score in 16 of the 31 games he played in (even i was stunned when i heard this stat)

I think that's a bit unfair.

Boyd did reasonably well in the first half of the season but after his groin operation definitely struggled upon his return where both he and the manager admitted they probably rushed him back too early.

Of course the lad is primarily all about goals but most people reckon his overall game has improved and he certainly contributes more than just goals; his presence alone will create space for other players.

One must also remember that Davis and Bougherra will already be on close to �£18K per week or more. Davis had plenty of games less than 7 last season (before Xmas especially) while Bougherra didn't turn up for large parts of the campaign. Should they receive pay cuts?

Is Boyd an �£18K per week player? Probably not - but who do we bring in that will contribute his goals for cheaper?

having attended every home game this season i can safely say that boyds overall contribution had vastly improved. As for davis, he had his bad games too and was under 7 out of 10 on a number of occasions.

Right now were paying 17,000 a week for lafferty who wouldnt get a game in my local pub team whilst boyd gets somewhere in the region of 12. Im sick of people slagging boyd even though hes got a higher strike rate than our resident legend Ally Mcoist who is revered as a god by most.

If Boyd goes we can forget the league title next season. We wont find another striker with his goals per game ratio on the cheap again.