Boyd agrees Boro move

As your perma-negativity surrounding Lafferty is 100% about you not rating him and 0% about personal stuff, i'm sure you can accept another sharing the same opinion about another player for the same reasons

;)

I could if the target was not a lean mean goal scoring machine, rather than a 4 million quid impostor come diddie....:spl:

Say we give Boyd a new 3 year contract at �£20K per week. That's just over �£3million.

I know your just giving an example but Boyd isnt worth 20k a week. Our top players like Bougherra, Davis and Weir play well against any opposition. Boyd does it against run of the mill SPL sides - ok we still need to win these games - but when he plays against Celtic or in Europe you just know he will barely get a touch never mind a goal.

As Hippo says, he had a few games where his holding up play improved but that was it.

I know your just giving an example but Boyd isnt worth 20k a week. Our top players like Bougherra, Davis and Weir play well against any opposition. Boyd does it against run of the mill SPL sides - ok we still need to win these games - but when he plays against Celtic or in Europe you just know he will barely get a touch never mind a goal.

As Hippo says, he had a few games where his holding up play improved but that was it.

The whole team often struggles against better opposition - not just Boyd.

The fact is it will be extremely difficult to replace Boyd's contribution next season on a similar or less budget than it would cost us to improve his contract. We may get lucky and just because any new player may not score the same amount of goals doesn't mean we won't be a better team but the element of risk is worrying.

I remember the topic of conversation among Rangers fans was, what we need is a goal scorer in our team,like super Ally, just someone that scores goals regularly,along comes Boyd and scores goals regularly and now it is not enough!!. No, I'm not comparing him to Ally. I've said it before and I'll say it again, no player is bigger than Rangers FC,we have managed to continue to be successful whenever we lost players, a lot better than Boyd, and we will continue without Boyd, if he goes?. But he deserves credit for what he has achieved with Rangers and for anybody to call him a shit player is wrong and harsh,IMO, you don't score that many goals @ professional level if you are a shit player, if it was then every striker in the SPL would have set the same record he has.

Who do we replace him with?

Do we trust Lafferty to provide the same number of goals or will the style of the team change so that the goals come from a range of players as opposed to relying on a poacher? Can Lafferty, Naismith and Fleck improve their contribution and is Miller likely to have another season like last term giving his increasing age?

Would the likes of Georgie Welcome be welcomed by those critical of Boyd's efforts? Or do we go for a more versatile player like Tommy Smith to replace Boyd/Novo in one pacey, but distinctly average, package?

Like Ian says, no man is bigger than the team and Boyd has more than his fair share of faults. As such, an increased wage in line with our top earners is arguably as risky as allowing him to leave and finding a new player. I just don't want to be moaning on here when we're struggling for goals next season - not just against Celtic or in the CL but against all the other teams we could rely on Boyd scoring important goals against. Sure, he may not have scored in 50% of games but what about those games where he did score the only goal for us?

Be careful what you wish for...!

Edited by Frankie

Unfortunately for us Wattie's biggest achilles heel is spotting a striker , I dont think any he has ever signed has lasted more than a season

Yeah, his record in that respect isn't great. He was lucky in his first spell as if it didn't work, he had the money to try someone else.

Now he doesn't have that luxury so players like Lafferty and Naismith have to be preserved with even if their contribution has been poor to average.

Guest Flying Hippo

The McCoist comparison is a poor one because McCoist had an above average all round game anyway and football has changed a lot since the 80s and early 90s; forwards must be able to do more than just put the ball in the back of the net

I read Andy Cole's autobiography and he talks about how one of the first things Alex Ferguson said to him was that he needed to work on his all round game as he wouldn't be setting the team out with the sole purpose of setting up goals for Cole like they did at Newcastle

Edited by Flying Hippo