Boyd agrees Boro move

The McCoist comparison is a poor one because McCoist had an above average all round game anyway and football has changed a lot since the 80s and early 90s; forwards must be able to do more than just put the ball in the back of the net

I read Andy Cole's autobiography and he talks about how one of the first things Alex Ferguson said to him was that he needed to work on his all round game as he wouldn't be setting the team out with the sole purpose of setting up goals for Cole like they did at Newcastle

Who's comparing him to McCoist???

I read Andy Cole's autobiography and he talks about how one of the first things Alex Ferguson said to him was that he needed to work on his all round game as he wouldn't be setting the team out with the sole purpose of setting up goals for Cole like they did at Newcastle

Ferguson also got rid of Van Nistelrooy and he felt his poaching style of game wasnt good for the rest of the team..did it work? - they won 3 titles!

Cant compare us to Man Utd's level of player but who is to say ridding a paocher wont make the midfield and strikers play better and get goals from all over the place. We did it in the 2002/03 season.

Ferguson also got rid of Van Nistelrooy and he felt his poaching style of game wasnt good for the rest of the team..did it work? - they won 3 titles!

Cant compare us to Man Utd's level of player but who is to say ridding a paocher wont make the midfield and strikers play better and get goals from all over the place. We did it in the 2002/03 season.

Nobody is saying it can't !!, what is being said is that if Boyd leaves we lose guaranteed goals,whoever replaces him is a gamble:)

There's not much of a gamble as he seems pretty set on finding another club for more money than we can afford.

Of course,if he goes then there is no point in debating it,we just have to get on with it and Boyd can GTF:)

Kris Boyd has turned down a staggering Ã?£4million over two years after rejecting Shota Arveladze’s invitation to join him in Turkey.

The Kayserispor manager finally admitted defeat yesterday in his bid to sign the Rangers striker on a big-money Bosman deal that would have secured the Ayrshireman’s financial future overnight.

Former Ibrox player Arveladze offered Boyd in excess of Ã?£50,000 per week but was left frustrated when his determined five week pursuit couldn’t even persuade the Scot to fly out for talks.

Rangers fans will now hope Boyd could yet change his mind over a new deal at Ibrox but a move to England seems more likely, with Middlesbrough and Blackburn both linked with the 26-year-old.

Arveladze revealed his disappointment to Sportsmail yesterday that the SPL’s record goalscorer wouldn’t even take up his offer of a private-jet trip to visit the Super Lig club.

‘It is 95-per-cent certain now that Kris won’t be coming and, of course, I am disappointed because I wanted him in my team,’ said Arveladze.

‘He didn’t even want to come out here and see the place. I don’t know why. I don’t know if it is because he wants to stay in Britain or if there’s now a chance he’ll remain at Rangers.

No deal: Shota Arveladze has been frustrated in his pursuit of Boyd

‘I’ve lived all over Europe and this is a lovely place. I’ve lived in Tbilisi, Amsterdam and Glasgow. There is nothing wrong with Kayseri and it’s a great shame he didn’t come out here to have a look.

‘I made him my best offer and spoke personally to Kris a couple of times. I also met his agent, Mark Donaghy. But Mark has now told me it won’t happen and I am just waiting for formal rejection of our offer.

‘I’d already started looking for other strikers because this was taking so long. It is not easy to find one but I have to try for Kayserispor.

'We’ve started pre-season training. It’s a pity Boyd didn’t tell me his intentions a bit earlier. I thought he would score goals and, with a 30,000 all-seater new ground, this would have been a great place to play with a big financial incentive, too.’

It’s understood that Boyd’s partner — the couple have two young children — was less than thrilled with the Turkish option.

Family over money, good choice Boydy.

Some folks just don't do adventure. The thought of Boyd settling in another country and coping with unfamiliarity just isn't credible. For �£50K a week I'd be taking belly dancing lessons and spitting at Greeks. it's not as if west central Scotland is the pinnacle of human experience.

Some folks just don't do adventure. The thought of Boyd settling in another country and coping with unfamiliarity just isn't credible. For �£50K a week I'd be taking belly dancing lessons and spitting at Greeks. it's not as if west central Scotland is the pinnacle of human experience.

But it's not all about Kris Boyd. He's got a chick and a couple of kids to think about too.

Guest Flying Hippo
Who's comparing him to McCoist???

I know you said in your post that you weren't directly comparing Boyd to McCoist, but you brought up the valid point that for years (despite our success under Advocaat and initially under McLeish) fans kept saying we needed a goalscorer like McCoist

However, football changed in these years. We scored 101 league goals in the 02/03 treble season despite nobody scoring more than 20 league goals. We were reliant on technically gifted fowards like de Boer, Mols, Arveladze, and Prso rather than having any great need for a 30 goal a season man. There's quite literally no chance that Barry Ferguson would've scored 20 goals in a season if Boyd had been leading the line. It was the fantastic hold up and link up play of our forwards that got Barry into the goalscoring positions he found himself in that season

Edited by Flying Hippo