Boyd agrees Boro move

It was very selfish from Boyd imo, unless he honestly had no idea that he'd want a new challenge 12 months later (which i find very hard to believe)

How can you judge him when you don't know what happened behind the scenes? What if the club accepted the offer and after Boyd spoke to Walter or Ally (or both) about it, they quietly advised him that it wasn't their decision to accept the offer and that they'd rather he stayed?? I know it's a 'what if', but it's more likely to be the case than Boyd saying "fuck Rangers" to himself when deciding whether to go to Brum or not.

Guest Flying Hippo

I'd imagine it was a combination of not wanting to leave Rangers halfway through the season and Birmingham not meeting his wage demands. However, if he knew that he was never going to sign a new contract at Rangers, then he should've done the decent thing and let the club bank the �£3.75 million. Whilst you could speculate that we may not have won the title had we sold him, we wouldn't have won it anyway had Celtic not been denied a stonewall (so they claim, anyway) penalty in stoppage time at Easter Road

Edited by Flying Hippo

I'd imagine it was a combination of not wanting to leave Rangers halfway through the season and Birmingham not meeting his wage demands. However, if he knew that he was never going to sign a new contract at Rangers, then he should've done the decent thing and let the club bank the �£3.75 million. Whilst you could speculate that we may not have won the title had we sold him, we wouldn't have won it anyway had Celtic not been denied a stonewall (so they claim, anyway) penalty in stoppage time at Easter Road

There were a plethora of bad decisions that season, and the majority of them went against US, not them. To suggest that the season came down to ONE bad decision is, I am afraid, bollox (to quote another Gersnet member....).

A league season is 38 games long and all decisions go into determining if anyone was hard done by, not just one late in the season.

Guest Flying Hippo

I'm just saying that it's all Ifs and Buts. The general argument against selling Boyd at the time was that it would cost us the title. The reality is that with 2 games to go, and with Boyd still at the club, it was in Celtic's hands. I'm glad he stayed for those remaining months but he really should've moved on last summer

The Boyd question is simple, but the answer's complicated and taste-ridden. Is there another striker out there who will cost less than Boyd in terms of signing on fee and wages who will do a better job, and have a greater sell-on value, than Boyd will cost in wages? This assumes, that we had the option of keeping him of course.

If you think there is a better striker, who will cost less and give more, then you can fall into two categories a) yes, person X, or b) well there just must be.

In reality, obviously, the only person who has the power to make that decision is WS, just as he's the only one with the accurate picture of who's available and for how much.

Personally I can't think of a striker who'll do more and cost less, so I'd like Boyd to stay. I, however, trust WS, and my hopes of his staying have been somewhat tempered by his desire to leave. As far as I'm concerned, those who want to, should go, regardless of who they are.

I'm just saying that it's all Ifs and Buts. The general argument against selling Boyd at the time was that it would cost us the title. The reality is that with 2 games to go, and with Boyd still at the club, it was in Celtic's hands. I'm glad he stayed for those remaining months but he really should've moved on last summer

Are ye gonny tell us whit Boydy caught yee at.....:fish:

Guest Flying Hippo
That's a damned lie, ah never touched his benetly.....:giruy:

As your perma-negativity surrounding Lafferty is 100% about you not rating him and 0% about personal stuff, i'm sure you can accept another sharing the same opinion about another player for the same reasons

;)