I'm sure Smith bought him because he felt, as usual, he'd offer versatility as well as goals and potential.

He's not really delivered on either so, as it stands, the fee seems inflated but I'll give him another few months as our main striker to judge the overall value.

Not according to his professional starting record or goals tally, you are not suggesting that Walter is somewhat out of touch with KL's footballing ability/position.......are you..

Not quite sure what you're getting at tbh.

Anyway, I was wrong it seems. I remembered the quotes from WS, just had them completely the wrong way round it would seem.

Or was I?

Feck knows, but he looks like a really awkward, gangly player who doesn't know what he's doing for most of the time when played out wide.

And he has seldom been used in his favoured role through the middle.

Smith said: "He has played the majority of his career wide left but I see him as a striker.

"That's his best position - he plays there for the national team. He will perhaps need this season to find his way.

But then....

ââ?¬Å?I think he has been caught between a couple of positions,ââ?¬Â Smith said. ââ?¬Å?Kyle played all his football as a youngster in a wide-left position. And you see that he can still do that and he has his moments when he shows up really well. But his proper position is centre forward and he has not had enough games there. Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller have played there in front of him, so the number of games heââ?¬â?¢s had in his proper position have been limited.

ââ?¬Å?I feel he is needing a period of time to settle down in the centre-forward position to try and learn all aspects of the position, but heââ?¬â?¢s not getting that.

Fletcher's value has gone up since, has KL's.

Doesnt mean the ability of Fletcher is now double Laffertys. Fletcher didnt do much more at Burnely than Lafferty did yet his fee doubled. This just shows transfer fees are way out of line down south.

Not to mention Lafferty has also looked good everytime he has played for N ireland.

The position he played against Poland for N Ireland. Either on his own or with Miller, I'll even say he will score more goals than Miller, if given the same opportunities.

Aye, he seems to be able to kick the ball hard. Miller doesn't really seem to be able to do that.

I have a couple of concerns about Lafferty. One is that he seems extremely naive, which you could put down to his age, but some of the ways he goes down trying to get other players booked or sent off is embarrassing. Its not like he even learns his lesson from previous incidents. If it was an opposition player we'd be up in arms about some of his antics.

And secondly, no matter what position he plays in, for every time he does something good, he'll do something laughably poor. He seems to look ungainly and uncomfortable at the best of times, but just when you think he's improving, he'll go and blooter the ball towards row Z or manage to tackle himself when trying to beat an opposition player.

And that's fine, all players have moments like that, but he seems to have more than his fair share.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope he comes good, but I think a lot of people got over-excited by his end to the season and glossed over the negatives in his play which were still there for all to see.

???????????

Please explain.

Sorry, does look a bit cryptic. I trust Lafferty to score more goals than Miller purely because he can kick the ball harder more often. Far too many of our strikers in recent times (with the notable exception of Boyd) seem to just have too weak a shot from any sort of range. And if perhaps they can kick the ball harder than I give them credit for, they never ever do it well. What was the last goal from outside the box we even scored?

I have a couple of concerns about Lafferty. One is that he seems extremely naive, which you could put down to his age, but some of the ways he goes down trying to get other players booked or sent off is embarrassing. Its not like he even learns his lesson from previous incidents. If it was an opposition player we'd be up in arms about some of his antics.

And secondly, no matter what position he plays in, for every time he does something good, he'll do something laughably poor. He seems to look ungainly and uncomfortable at the best of times, but just when you think he's improving, he'll go and blooter the ball towards row Z or manage to tackle himself when trying to beat an opposition player.

And that's fine, all players have moments like that, but he seems to have more than his fair share.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope he comes good, but I think a lot of people got over-excited by his end to the season and glossed over the negatives in his play which were still there for all to see.

I think this is an excellent summary.

Sorry, does look a bit cryptic. I trust Lafferty to score more goals than Miller purely because he can kick the ball harder more often. Far too many of our strikers in recent times (with the notable exception of Boyd) seem to just have too weak a shot from any sort of range. And if perhaps they can kick the ball harder than I give them credit for, they never ever do it well. What was the last goal from outside the box we even scored?

I agree about shooting from outside the box, tho' I thought Boyd improved his shooting in the last 12 months, even had the confidence to start taking free kicks.

Surely that improvment came about with practice, which begs the question!!