I agree about shooting from outside the box, tho' I thought Boyd improved his shooting in the last 12 months, even had the confidence to start taking free kicks.

Surely that improvment came about with practice, which begs the question!!

No, sorry I meant Boyd was the only one who could strike it from distance, and you're right it improved towards the end. Like set pieces and all that, it's one of those things you think they could improve on with sustained practice surely.

I remember reading that Morinho when he was with Porto had all the strikers and attacking midfielders divided into two with one half practicing shooting and the other following up and they got loads of goal from it in Europe and throughout the season. Maybe a wee tip for Uncle Walt! :)

I have a couple of concerns about Lafferty. One is that he seems extremely naive, which you could put down to his age, but some of the ways he goes down trying to get other players booked or sent off is embarrassing. Its not like he even learns his lesson from previous incidents. If it was an opposition player we'd be up in arms about some of his antics.

And secondly, no matter what position he plays in, for every time he does something good, he'll do something laughably poor. He seems to look ungainly and uncomfortable at the best of times, but just when you think he's improving, he'll go and blooter the ball towards row Z or manage to tackle himself when trying to beat an opposition player.

And that's fine, all players have moments like that, but he seems to have more than his fair share.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope he comes good, but I think a lot of people got over-excited by his end to the season and glossed over the negatives in his play which were still there for all to see.

Apart from the Mulgrew incident, I don't think he dives any more than other players. He does look very awkward, and I don't think that helps. He also reminds me of other players in the past, who were of the same build, ungainly, tall, lanky, as if they were still to grow into their frame. They were similar as in they could do very good things one minute, and the next trip over their own feet.

George McLean in the sixties was the first I can remember, what an exasperating player he was, but similar in build to KL.

Guest Flying Hippo

He was signed to replace both Cousin and Darcheville, whilst also offering an alternative to the woeful McCulloch on the left hand side of midfield

No big mystery

He was signed to replace both Cousin and Darcheville, whilst also offering an alternative to the woeful McCulloch on the left hand side of midfield

No big mystery

Crikey! :eek:

Kyle Lafferty signed to replace two players and cover for McCulloch on the left of midfield? You'd be lucky if he could replace half a player.

Guest Flying Hippo
Crikey! :eek:

Kyle Lafferty signed to replace two players and cover for McCulloch on the left of midfield? You'd be lucky if he could replace half a player.

It's hardly some massive conspiracy

Naismith was out long term and we were actively trying to find buyers ASAP for Darcheville and Cousin

The 3 of them were replaced by Miller, Lafferty, and Velicka

The added bonus with Lafferty was that he had a history of playing wide left, a position where McCulloch had had an absolute nightmare the season previously

We seem to have veered of in a tangent, it is more the role of Wattie and his thinking that puzzles me, Laffs is what he is, the fee is not his fault it is Smiths, Laffs if he does come good, will be of his own doing, I really don't think Smith has a clue how to utilise the lad.

UOTE=wabashcannonball;209815]We seem to have veered of in a tangent, it is more the role of Wattie and his thinking that puzzles me, Laffs is what he is, the fee is not his fault it is Smiths, Laffs if he does come good, will be of his own doing, I really don't think Smith has a clue how to utilise the lad.

For lafferty you could swap Boli , Duncan Ferguson , Durie or god knows how many other players , Boli was the worst example for me , he played his entire career as the center of a three , we put him right center in a 4 and when surprise surprise it doesn't work and we sell him , we change to a three at the back .

Wattie has a history of utilising players anywhere just to fit them in , nothing surprises me any more .

UOTE=wabashcannonball;209815]We seem to have veered of in a tangent, it is more the role of Wattie and his thinking that puzzles me, Laffs is what he is, the fee is not his fault it is Smiths, Laffs if he does come good, will be of his own doing, I really don't think Smith has a clue how to utilise the lad.

For lafferty you could swap Boli , Duncan Ferguson , Durie or god knows how many other players , Boli was the worst example for me , he played his entire career as the center of a three , we put him right center in a 4 and when surprise surprise it doesn't work and we sell him , we change to a three at the back .

Wattie has a history of utilising players anywhere just to fit them in , nothing surprises me any more .

Add Porrini into that aswell, he was a centre half in Italy but played RB for us.

To be fair to Durie he was a good signing.

Add Porrini into that aswell, he was a centre half in Italy but played RB for us.

To be fair to Durie he was a good signing.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR , dont get me started on him , yes he played his part but christ was he frustrating , twice against AEK Athens away we were thorugh on their keeper , him and laudrup and twice he made an arse of it , never forgave him