Northampton Loyalist said:

he is the manager to do one thing and one thing above all else. Rangers exists to win silverware, Smith, whatever his faults, wins silverware.

Which says it all for me. Magnificent post, NL.

No-one is claiming he is some tactical genius but I for one will be heartbroken when this season ends, however it ends, and the man who has been my father figure for nigh on 20 years is no longer there at the Club which has been my substitute family for that and longer. It may be pitiful that a man of 39 relies on someone he's never spoken to, nor ever will, but that's the emotional pull of our Club and I am unwilling to let it go. I love the Rangers, and in turn I love Walter Smith.

Ive always said that the ugly SPL football we witness is more to do with the style of play our opponents have got. Its very difficult to play against teams who have 6 or 7 behind the ball and just punt it away. I'd even throw in the state of the pitches, the cold winters and the collapse of Scottish Football in general as to why it can be so dire to watch.

Sure WS and others have had some totally bizarre selections at times also but we arent the only ones who have came out with this 'no lose first' mentality rather than 'lets go win'. One of the best matches last season was the last game of the season between Falkirk and Kilmarnock, both teams went right at each other and there was chances galore. If teams could take this approach all season our game would be easier on the eye. This is where Dundee utd and Hibs do deserve a bit of credit in the last season or 2.

Nobody is perfect,not even Sir Walter,but without him returning to Rangers I dread to think what state we would be in right now,nobody could have got the results/success he has achieved since his return and I for one am thankful that he returned when he did. He has his faults, no doubt about it,but he is a winner and has brought success to the club against all odds especially on his return.I also think the misused phrase '' boring football '' is wrong and false,Rangers have played a lot of excellent football over the last couple of seasons but that seems to have been forgotten by his detractors and IMO is laughable. He WILL be missed when he finally quits, of that I'm sure,and maybe only after he has gone will some fans really appreciate his achievements,as is always the case with great players/managers,and I only hope Ally has learned from the master of success or he will soon face the wrath of the Rangers fans if he hasn't.

Come on Walter, finish your last season on a high by WINNING another title as you can only do, and if you don't win the title I will still be greatfull for what you have done for the Rangers. We welcome the chase.

Students of Rangers managers may be interested in the below....or not.

Name From To P W D L Win %

William Wilton May 1899 May 1920 722 475 118 129...... 65.78%

Bill Struth May 1920 May 1954 1179 788 228 163.... 66.83%

Scott Symon June 1954 November 1967 681 445 114 122.... 65.34%

David White November 1967 November 1969 114 73 19 22..... 64.03%

William Waddell December 1969 May 1972 131 74 25 32.... 56.49%

Jock Wallace June 1972 May 1978 308 201 56 51.... 65.25%

John Greig May 1978 October 1983 288 150 71 67 ..... 52.08%

Jock Wallace October 1983 April 1986 124 55 36 33..... 43.65%

Graeme Souness April 1986 April 1991 260 165 50 45 .....63.32%

Walter Smith April 1991 May 1998 379 248 68 63 ...... 63.8% updated to present.

Dick Advocaat July 1998 December 2001 194 131 33 30..... 67.53%

Alex McLeish December 2001 May 2006 235 155 44 36..... 65.96%

Paul Le Guen May 2006 January 2007 31 16 8 7 ..... 51.61%

Edited by wabashcannonball

Advocaat is our best ever manager is he then wabash? :D

According to stats he is, but we all know about stats and damned lies, my owmn preference is for Mr Struth...but I am just an old traditionalist, discipline respect all that sort of out of date stuff.

Incidentally I am in possession of a copy of Auchenhowies title deeds, to be honest I can not make head nor tail of them.

Lots of references to KELVINSIDE ACADEMY WAR MEMORIAL TRUST.

C. CHARGES SECTION

Title Number: DMB65871

Entry

Number Specification

Date Of

Registration

Standard Security by said THE RANGERS FOOTBALL CLUB

PLC to KELVINSIDE ACADEMY WAR MEMORIAL TRUST,

incorporated under the Companies Acts (Number 11734)

and having their registered Office at 33 Kirklee Road

Kelvinside, Glasgow and JOHN BENNET HALLEY, residing at

6 West Chapelton Crescent, Bearsden, Glasgow, JOHN

28/10/1999

Registers Direct - Land Register: View Title DMB65871 Page 2 of 27

https://www.eservices.ros.gov.uk/ros-rd2-presentation-ui/ros/rd2/presentation/ui/registers... 28/07/2010

If admin want a copy let me know, as far as I can make out we are leasing the facility back to ourselves over sixty years, for a peppercorn rent....if asked for...I could of course be entirely barking up the wrong tree, but I reckon Perry Mason would have bother working out the gist of it.

I sometimes wonder if some people have ever played football in their life. Those that have, have you ever consciously thought a about what is the most entertaining thing to do, or do you go out to win a game, or even try and get a draw against a better team or now and again try to make it respectable against a much better team?

Have you ever tried to play well together and found that the other team keep getting in the way? They close you down, kick you, play kick and rush and perpetually get to the ball first. That sometimes you can't play the way you want and end up hoofing it more often than you'd like?

Sometimes this can happen in the cup against a team from a lower division and you just can't understand why your team can't control the game.

In all those times, are you thinking, "I should try to play some pretty football for crowd, I'm now going to beat three players with some silky, exhibition stuff and then curl the ball into the top corner"?

It just doesn't happen - instead more likely the first guy puts in a crunching tackle, wins the ball, boots it up the field, his poaching team mate chases it down the wing and puts in a cross to his mate who bundles it into the net before your napping defence knows what's happening.

Mowbray thought he could get his team to play beautiful, entertaining football and win everything - and in the end they did neither.

Entertaining football is a side effect result of a team of good players, on form, playing well together, focusing on winning. It's not about putting style before substance.

Rangers played fantastic last December, so why didn't they play like that all the time? The players, the manager and the fans all wanted them to so why didn't they.

The answer is, it's just not that easy when you've got another team out to spoil the party.

In basket ball, the Harlem Globe Trotters are immensely entertaining, but would they win the NBA title? Absolutely no chance - they only play against teams who are happy to be trounced and let the Trotters strut their stuff.

I sometimes wonder if some people have ever played football in their life. Those that have, have you ever consciously thought a about what is the most entertaining thing to do, or do you go out to win a game, or even try and get a draw against a better team or now and again try to make it respectable against a much better team?

Have you ever tried to play well together and found that the other team keep getting in the way? They close you down, kick you, play kick and rush and perpetually get to the ball first. That sometimes you can't play the way you want and end up hoofing it more often than you'd like?

Sometimes this can happen in the cup against a team from a lower division and you just can't understand why your team can't control the game.

In all those times, are you thinking, "I should try to play some pretty football for crowd, I'm now going to beat three players with some silky, exhibition stuff and then curl the ball into the top corner"?

It just doesn't happen - instead more likely the first guy puts in a crunching tackle, wins the ball, boots it up the field, his poaching team mate chases it down the wing and puts in a cross to his mate who bundles it into the net before your napping defence knows what's happening.

Mowbray thought he could get his team to play beautiful, entertaining football and win everything - and in the end they did neither.

Entertaining football is a side effect result of a team of good players, on form, playing well together, focusing on winning. It's not about putting style before substance.

Rangers played fantastic last December, so why didn't they play like that all the time? The players, the manager and the fans all wanted them to so why didn't they.

The answer is, it's just not that easy when you've got another team out to spoil the party.

In basket ball, the Harlem Globe Trotters are immensely entertaining, but would they win the NBA title? Absolutely no chance - they only play against teams who are happy to be trounced and let the Trotters strut their stuff.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8]YouTube- ‪Del Boy falls through the bar - Only Fools and Horses - BBC‬‎[/ame] :whistle: