Guest Flying Hippo
Give you that FH, making 21 since 2008 SU and Stoke'

Ian 1964, if we were replacing the departed with something better and younger, bring him on, we aren't..panic buy if it happens...I just hope this is not a repeat of blowing 10 IAR.

9 league goals in 18 months at Stoke may look paltry but it's a common theme at that club

Ricardo Fuller - 14 league goals in 2 years

Dave Kitson - 3 league goals in 2 years

Mamady Sidibe - 5 league goals in 2 years

Tuncay - 4 league goals in 1 year

They play hideous football designed to rough up the opposition rather than create chances on a plate for their strikers

The Beat will get 20 in the SPL nae bother

9 league goals in 18 months at Stoke may look paltry but it's a common theme at that club

Ricardo Fuller - 14 league goals in 2 years

Dave Kitson - 3 league goals in 2 years

Mamady Sidibe - 5 league goals in 2 years

Tuncay - 4 league goals in 1 year

They play hideous football designed to rough up the opposition rather than create chances on a plate for their strikers

The Beat will get 20 in the SPL nae bother

I hope you are right, but although I got evens for us to lift the title, I am beginning to have grave doubts as to the rudderless direction we appear to be taking. :confused:

Again - less talk; more action.

The failure to sign new players is farcical.

It started slowly but there's built up an avalanche of speculation and talks and links, but not one single new signing yet.

Guest Northampton_loyalist

They are both good players who would walk it up here. Neither are the type of player we should be looking at though, regarding likely service for money. It certainly strikes as getting what we can rather than getting what we should.

Guest Flying Hippo
They are both good players who would walk it up here. Neither are the type of player we should be looking at though, regarding likely service for money. It certainly strikes as getting what we can rather than getting what we should.

I think we're at the stage where we need players, period. Not desperately trying to find diamonds in the rough who we can make massive profits on. We'll almost certainly sell Bougherra and Davis next summer for around �£10 million. That's fine for now

I really dont get where I see a lot of posters on here and elsewhere assuming that average Championship players would "walk it" in the SPL, or an assumption any decent lower EPL team striker will blow away SPL defences and score over 20 goals.

I just dont see any evidence for this at all. There are many strikers who have came up from the lower EPL or the Championship and have fell flat on their arse in the SPL, many of them with us over the years. Just because they get paid stupid amounts of money in the top 2 tiers of English footy, does not in any way guarantee that they are actually good footballers that can adapt to a club of our size and expectations.

I am especially worried about 30+ strikers who have clearly lost their scoring touch, are out of favour at their poor current teams, but still have huge wage demands that seem to be far more important to these already very rich men than the opportunity to play CL football, or to win medals to look back on their careers with pride about.

Maybe its just me, but if I was already financially secure by my mid-twenties, I would hope I would start to look for opportunities to win trophies and medals to look back on rather than the only stories I can re-tell to my grandkids is "I took �£20K a week for sitting on the bench, then got a �£250K sign-on fee and another �£20Kpw at another club for another couple of years.

I go back to my consistent rant that under no circumstances should we be signing players for a 7 figure fee with no sell-on value, and certainly not ones with no recent form.

I smell another Ostenstadt in the offing.

Guest Flying Hippo

As i said in another post, it was only a year ago that Beattie was being heralded as the man who single handedly kept Stoke in the Premiership. The myth that he's been finished for years now is indeed that, a myth