Over the last few weeks it won't have passed many that I have been having discussions on the Bill Struth morals and the Rangers way. If we have the Rangers way or if we are to follow morals the way Bill Struth is perceived to have run the club, then today threw up a situation where these morals should be upheld. When Walter Smith names his team for the game against St Johnstone next weekend then the first name on the team sheet should be Neil Alexander. The circus act that Alan McGregor acted out today should see him relegated to the stand for the next few games. If there is a Bill Struth model or the Rangers way, then Walter Smith can give the players a message that the Rangers way does not tolerate such actions. The SFA won't be taking action i read in another thread. Walter Smith should. That should be the Rangers way that makes us proud to be a Rangers supporter.

Yep, if people want to be consistent then I find it hard to argue with your post.

At the very least, Rangers should fine the lad heavily as that kind of behaviour is embarrassing to us all.

I'm not sure that he should be dropped, but definitely heavily fined.

I'm not sure that would send out the correct message, we'll fine you but you can still play.

I'd drop for a game and fine him personally.

Walter will not shirk from taking action if he deems it appropriate. He showed that with the Boozegate scandal, quickly shaming the SFA into taking action (albeit, disproportionately).

Judging from Smith's inverview with ChicYoung after the game, he was trying to downplay the incident as "one of those things" (or similar), so I think dropping him would also be disproportionate. Yes, it was embarrassing to see one of our players act in that way so I'm sure one of the management team will have a word in his shell-like, and hopefully we will not see him do it again. If it does then fair warning will have been given, and he needs to deal with the consequences so drop him, fine him, whatever, in line with the club's disciplinary code.

The club needs to tread very carefully in upholding moral standards which are far higher than those of our rivals. If we start fining and dropping players for things which happen in the heat of the moment, and which happen in most leagues and in most countries, we run the risk of not pissing them off, making them more likely to fall out with the management team and ultimately leave the club.

I'm not sure that would send out the correct message, we'll fine you but you can still play.

I'd drop for a game and fine him personally.

Would you still say that if we were playing Celtic in a league decider next week and Alexander was injured?

My answer to that would be "no way" and therefore I don't think that we can have a "moral code" (for lack of a better term) that we only apply when it suits us.

I've got sympathy with your view but dropping him is punishing the team and the fans as much (if not more) than it is punishing him.

Say we fine and drop McGregor and he says that he has had enough and is offski. Either we retain an unhappy who is potentially a disruptive influence on the rest of the squad; or, he forces the club to sell him with a high chance we get a fee which is below his true market value. I'm not sure there would be many fans who would be so keen on a moral code then.

I know what Bludell and stewarty are saying we could unsettle him, or we could be short on the goakeeping department. He did however react poorly, I would take my time over the decision before handing out punishment, Walter will know what is best to do.