from elsewhere .........

The official criteria,

The Scottish FA’s rules on work permit endorsements follow the same guidelines as previously outlined by the Home Office. For the SFA to give their approval, the player in question must have played 75 per cent of his nation’s competitive games – excluding friendlies – in the last two years.

Furthermore, the country the player is coming from must be in the top 70 of Fifa’s rankings. Failure to meet these requirements results in an automatic rejection of any application for an SFA endorsement for a work permit certificate of sponsorship.

He seemingly does not meet the first criteria, but his Country obviously meets the second.

Must admit.. I do find the whole thing a bit odd. He's not even listed on the squad list on the official site yet, plus the welcome page before you enter had an advertisement for an interview with Jelavic available now on Rangers TV but the link led to an error and has now disappeared.. all just seems to of gone rather quiet.

I've got a rare Saturday off and got a ticket for the St. Johnstone game and can't believe we'll of signed a player over a week ago by that point and there's a possibility he won't be able to play.

There's nothing stopping him from getting the work permit, ok he missed the first part but there's enough to grant him a work permit to play unless the panel think otherwise?? Can you picture it if he doesn't get one!!

The whole process is a joke when you think about it. How can you NOT give aq professional footballer a permit to work? They earn thousands and you can bet a chunk of that will be getting taxed...why would the government shoot themselves in the foot when they let in,no disrespect,but little old indian ladies who are going to be cleaning toilets at Glasgow airport?

I play 2 divisions below the Victorian premier league over here in OZ, it's more or less the league down from the A-league but the clubs class themselves as professional. They get players over all the time on professional contracts and trust me, none of them are anywhere near being good enough to be the kit man for their national sides...