Edu or McCulloch?

Who do you want playing alongside Davis in central midfield?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want playing alongside Davis in central midfield?

• Edu
    • McCulloch
    • Neither

Edu, I've seen more from him in his fleeting appearances than 3 years of Jig been a regular fixture in the side.

Box to box midfielder with bags of potential.

However, Edu has started the season slowly and needs to up his game.

However, Edu has started the season slowly and needs to up his game.

He's started his Rangers career even slower.

I'm not seeing this "box to box" midfielder with lods of energy. He looks lazy, soft in the tackle and struggles to cope with the pace of our game.

Tough choice.

Edu is a composed and fairly slick player with great athleticism and can keep the game simple and efficient. Can also get forward to support the attack.

McCulloch is a grafter who gives plenty of steel in there and wins a lot in the air. He does the dirty work others don't.

My answer would be that it depends on who we're playing.

Guest Flying Hippo
Edu has done the square root of nothing during his time at us. In 2 and a bit years he's still struggling to adjust to the style of the SPL. Not good enough.

He's never played anywhere close to a full season

He barely played a match until April of his first season and he was out injured until about January of last season

This should've been his year but yesterday proved that McCulloch will always play if available, as if we didn't know that already

He's started his Rangers career even slower.

I'm not seeing this "box to box" midfielder with lods of energy. He looks lazy, soft in the tackle and struggles to cope with the pace of our game.

His first season was near blanked out by injury. He then got fit and played a pivotal role in our league winning campaign showing more athleticism than most of our squad. Last season was similar to his first.

This season he's fit but hasn't showed the form he has done but it is early in the season and Miller, Naismith, Weiss and Greegs aside, no player has shown their true potential.

Perhaps he'd be better with both Davis and Jig where he can free himself up to play to his strengths. Although that may not suit the team. We'll find that out in Europe.

Guest Flying Hippo
His first season was near blanked out by injury. He then got fit and played a pivotal role in our league winning campaign showing more athleticism than most of our squad. Last season was similar to his first.

His form in the final 2 months of the 08/09 season was sensational for a guy who had barely kicked a ball before that. But he was only in the team because McCulloch got injured, unsurprisingly (McCulloch and Mendes was the initial partnership after Barry was dropped)

The real frustrating thing is that it's so obvious that Edu has all the tools there to be a much, much better player than McCulloch. But he'll only be able to show it if he's given a long run of games, which is very unlikely to happen

I thought McCulloch was excellent last season. I think he's the one player we have who really inspires and motivates - to take a theme from another thread - those around him. I think however, after much experimentation, his best position is a holding midfielder as part of a 3 man midfield in front of the defence. As part of a two, I think Edu is a bit more dynamic despite not starting the season very well. I think if we're sticking with this formation then Edu should be first choice.

Guest Flying Hippo
It's clear, once again, that some fans just wont give certain players a fair crack.

Whilst Edu might be the better long term bet, he has played poorly and deserved to be rested.

So long as McCulloch is dropped immediately after he has a poor game, i'll accept that