Edu or McCulloch?

Who do you want playing alongside Davis in central midfield?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want playing alongside Davis in central midfield?

• Edu
    • McCulloch
    • Neither

McCulloch wouldn't get into the USA team so it's churlish to dismiss Edu playing in the World Cup

Neither did Edu - he was a sub in all games was he not.

Either way, as S_A says, you have missed the point.

Guest Flying Hippo

Forgive me for being slightly pissed off that the 24 year old is immediately dropped once the 32 year old is back from suspension. It's because of attitudes like this that we have a 40 year old in our defence

Edited by Flying Hippo

Forgive me for being slightly pissed off that the 24 year old is immediately dropped once the 32 year old is back from suspension. It's because of attitudes like this that we have a 40 year old in our defence

i'd rather have big jig playing than the way edu is just now....is edu too good for this league also :whistle:

Aye, thats the only reason we have an ageing central defender (who happens to be our captain and a quality performer in the side). Nothing to do with years of financial mismanagement. Not that i'm sure attacking Weir is actually a good way to further your argument.

If you're good enough you're old enough works both ways (i.e. for young and old).

Ps. If there was an option i'd selct "the form player" in the poll. Currently McCulloch deserves the spot.

Forgive me for being slightly pissed off that the 24 year old is immediately dropped once the 32 year old is back from suspension.

Can a 32 year old not be better than a 24 year old though? Why should Edu get the nod when his performances have been no better than average.

No, it isnt. The reason Edu is dropped is the very thing you yourself have been calling for i.e. players being dropped if not playing well.

It really is this simple - Edu has been, for the most part, GASH this season - he deserved to be dropped.

Plain facts are he has been poor and so deserved to be dropped.

I can tell you this, if McCulloch has a couple of bad games I will be calling for Edu to be recalled. I, personally, have no favourites - all I want is for the team to win and we arent good enough (i.e. we dont have Laudrup, Gascoigne, McCoist, Hateley etc) to carry passengers.

Each and every player should realise that their participation relies heavily on their performance.

I get what you are saying, and I agree - but you are battering WS with a stick because he is doing EXACTLY what you want him to do - except he is doing it to the player you rate at the expense of the one you dont.

Just what kind of signal would WS have been sending if he had played Edu given his poor performance at Easter Road and likewise poor (for the most part) performance against Killie ???

I say this as someone who actually does rate Edu and, in fact, as someone who would prefer to see Edu in the team over McCulloch - but I wont bury my head in the sand just because of who I prefer to see in the team.

Edu has started VERY slowly this season and part of that may be a WC hangover - but, as I said, we cant carry passengers - big Jig actually did reasonably well on the weekend and was most certainly not our worst performer.

It goes higher than that

Keeping a 40 year old and selling his 18 year old heir apparent after he was left embarrassed by our alleged �£2000 a week new contract offer

Selling Thomson because we couldn't afford to offer him a new contract, but almost immediately offering one to a man 7 years older than him

All we care about is one season after the other. There's no long term thinking whatsoever and it's pretty depressing

I can't find a damned thing that I'd disagree with in your post. I just wondered whether you were pointing the finger directly at Walter Smith ... or do you also see him as a victim of higher villains?

I'd have Edu for long term purposes, but he did need a kick up the backside and being dropped was the best option. I only saw the last 10 minutes and McCulloch gave a couple of silly fouls away, actually surprised he wasn't booked for one of them. If one isn't playing well the other should I will wait and see if this is the case over the next few months.