Can Scottish football sink any lower.

All you people calling for his head should first think about (a) who would want the job; and (b) who is available that we could afford. Levein may be the best of the rest. Billy Davies anyone? Craig Broon?

Why does he need to be Scottish , can we not stop being parocial just for a wee minute , just because Vogts was a disaster doesn't mean all foreign coaches are bad

Why does he need to be Scottish , can we not stop being parocial just for a wee minute , just because Vogts was a disaster doesn't mean all foreign coaches are bad

Yip. Before Levein was appointed I was saying this. Why dont we look south of the border? I dont think an english manager would be bad for Scotland in the same way a Scottish or British manager wouldnt be bad for england. I bet any England fan would have had Alex Ferguson or Martin O Neill after the world cup.

Its not about the nationality its about knowing the players and leagues etc. Berti Vogts wasnt a bad coach, he won Euro 96 which proves he cant be bad, he just wasnt right for our country.

Id have had no problem if we approached Terry Venebles, Glenn Hoddle or Kevin Keegan to name a few.

As for Scots, id have been going for a set up of 2 from Joe Jordan, Dalglish, George Graham, Gary McAllister, Souness, Strachan way ahead of Levein.

I thought Levein was a good appointment and he has done okay so far. Too many folk are quick to judge - I'd prefer to see where things lie come the end of the qualifying campaign. Also, I think folks expectation levels are too high when you consider we are a nation who has not qualified for a major competition for 12 years now.

Set your expectations and goals low, you will have no trouble with success.

PS some people are not frightened to voice an opinion, rather than sit on the fence and wait and see.

Set your expectations and goals low, you will have no trouble with success..

You can hark back to the halcyon days of Scottish fitba all day, it wont make us a better team right now. I've watched enough Scotland games to know better than to expect us to easily beat teams like Liechtenstein. Low expectations? I prefer to call it realism - a condition that doesn't stop me dreaming.

PS some people are not frightened to voice an opinion, rather than sit on the fence and wait and see

I have not sat on the fence - my opinion is clear. In terms of performance we have been poor but results-wise we have done okay. It is too early to judge Levein's tenure. If you want to dive off the deep end then that's up to you.

You can hark back to the halcyon days of Scottish fitba all day, it wont make us a better team right now. I've watched enough Scotland games to know better than to expect us to easily beat teams like Liechtenstein. Low expectations? I prefer to call it realism - a condition that doesn't stop me dreaming.

I have not sat on the fence - my opinion is clear. In terms of performance we have been poor but results-wise we have done okay. It is too early to judge Levein's tenure. If you want to dive off the deep end then that's up to you.

You have given everything but an opinion, wait and see is a cop out.

And what the fek sort of comment is this by levein.... The manager said: ââ?¬Å?There are players I can trust. It will be with effort and commitment that we will be able to punch above our weight in international football again.ââ?¬Â

Name names, don't tar people with suspicion, who are the ones you can't trust ????????

You have given everything but an opinion, wait and see is a cop out.

I suspect you are on the wind-up here. Nonetheless, regardless of how Scotland do during Levein's tenure, I don't suppose anything would persuade you it was a success, regardless of the results on the pitch.

And what the fek sort of comment is this by levein.... The manager said: ââ?¬Å?There are players I can trust. It will be with effort and commitment that we will be able to punch above our weight in international football again.ââ?¬Â

Name names, don't tar people with suspicion, who are the ones you can't trust ????????

I suspect today's story in the Daily Rebel might give us a clue here. Apparently Levein roasted the team at half-time calling McFadden wasteful and selfish, and Boyd lazy.

In other news, bears really do shite in the woods!

I suspect you are on the wind-up here. Nonetheless, regardless of how Scotland do during Levein's tenure, I don't suppose anything would persuade you it was a success, regardless of the results on the pitch.

I suspect today's story in the Daily Rebel might give us a clue here. Apparently Levein roasted the team at half-time calling McFadden wasteful and selfish, and Boyd lazy.

In other news, bears really do shite in the woods!

Apparently from a source, and we know all about sources. As I said, you give everything but an opinion,....go on tell us, do you think levein will get us qualification, I don't.

Levein: Mad, bad, and dangerous to know?

He's maybe not quite in the same league as Byron, but the aftermath of the Nightmare on Tuesday might give us as many clues to the abilities of the Scotland manager as the game itself. Today's papers tell the story of how Levein roasted two players at halftime, McFadden and Boyd, calling them selfish and lazy; furthermore, he had subbed both before the hour. Having sat and watched Boyd jog around his three markers for the first half, perhaps hoping they woud fall asleep or something, I can't disagree with his appraisal - although McFadden was trying his best, even though it was totally ineffectual.

But these things shouldn't have come out! Or more accurately, they shouldn't have even been said.

Did Levein think McFadden would just accept being bollocked without a murmur? Or one of his friends wouldn't go running to the papers with a story that carries with it a tidy payment? It shows a level of managerial immaturity from the Scotland boss that has to be worrying. Yes, he's new to the job and yes, he's still a relatively young man but by making his mistakes quite so publicly as he goes along, all that will happen is the team will be weakened.

I've been against any thought of Levein taking over at Rangers - the thought fills me with horror, primarily because he has shown himself far too emotional to handle the pressure of a big club. Well, Scotland is a big job, and he hasn't shown any signs of handling it very well so far. In saying that, I support him fully while he's there and wish him 100% success - I just think he's going about it the wrong way.

Berating international players nowadays just isn't on. Drop them if you wish - you're the boss. What good is there is speaking out as Levein has done? Wearing your heart on your sleeve is all very well, but you must remember to engage your brain as well! The national manager relies on players actually wanting to play for him - he holds none of the cards the club boss has. A precendent has been set in recent years with Scotland players picking and choosing which managers they want to play for, and it would be no surprise to see McFadden pulling out of squads in the future far more than in the past.

No bad thing, you may argue, but are we so well off we can afford to deny ourselves ANY options? I don't think so.

Levein is not mad, but he's doing a lot of growing up in public and the team (and the fans) are going to be the ones suffering. He's not a bad man or manager either, but I remain to be convinced if he's good enough to be Scotland manager. In the end, if he succeeds, I'll be happy enough, and if he fails, he's only keeping the seat warm for Uncle Walter to sort things out, once again.

Apparently from a source, and we know all about sources. As I said, you give everything but an opinion,....go on tell us, do you think levein will get us qualification, I don't.

Had you asked me that question before then I would have given you an answer!

To answer directly - my rational brain says no, but my heart says YES! We need to beat Lithuania at home, get at least 4 points off Czech and hope other results go our way i.e. Lithuania dont keep up their promising start. A wee cheeky draw/win at home Spain would go a long way as well but thats me being overly optimistic.

Hang on - you'll accuse me of sitting on the fence again so I'll say yes.

Now, back to your pish about low expectations? :whistle:

A good post Andy!

Fingers crossed Levein learns quick although I have no problem with him giving players a bollocking. I suspect the only reason it has been leaked is because certain players nose's have been put out of joint.