Webster shrugs off doubters

Andy Webster is determined to overcome his latest injury setback and finally make a name for himself at Rangers.

More...

Andy Webster is determined to overcome his latest injury setback and finally make a name for himself at Rangers.

The defender has made just one first-team appearance for Rangers since joining the club from Wigan, initially on loan, in January 2007.

After impressing on loan at Dundee United last season it was hoped that Webster would hit the ground running at Ibrox this term.

Webster, however, damaged knee ligaments during his first training session at Murray Park, leading to question marks over his Gers future in some quarters.

Frustrating

But the 28-year-old has vowed to silence those sceptics, explaining to Rangers News: "It's up to people how they judge me but nobody likes being injured or spending time on the sidelines.

"I'd much rather be playing in football matches than sitting watching them and not being involved.

"It's frustrating that that's not the case at the moment but I'm just focusing on making sure I get myself right and ready to play again.

"I spent a lot of last week running with the physios and hopefully that's me getting close to being back and involved with the rest of the boys again."

Webster started 31 games for Dundee United so he is confident his hamstring problem is just a temporary blow.

Insane

"I've had a setback at the start of the season but I don't think it's going to disrupt me in the long term and I'm looking forward to getting playing again," he added.

"People can think what they want - good, bad or indifferent. They might label me a certain way but that's their prerogative.

"If I listened to what was said about me I might lose focus and that's not what I'm looking to do.

"When you're getting applause from people, you take it with a pinch of salt and it's exactly the same when things aren't going so well. You deal with it in the same manner.

"I know it would be easy to let my head drop, but the more you think about things and ponder, the more it drives you insane.

"The most important thing is not to dwell. I've learned to be a bit more patient."

How will we know if Weir is tired from playing too many games, he cant get any feckin slower than he already is!!

I think the fact that Weir doesnt train as much as the rest, and takes a couple of days off to be at home, but remains one of the fittest (by all accounts) of the entire squad shows that the big man can handle 3 hours of football a week, and begs the question, why cant they all do that?

I was going to post something on Webster this week. How on earth can he play for everyone but Rangers. He comes to us and doesnt play...he goes on loan and plays. Comes back and doesnt play...goes on loan to Dundee Utd and is their best player...comes back and doesnt play.

He surely has to go into the top 5 of injury jinx's we've had. He's making Prodan look a legend!

Walter seems to think Webster will be available for the week-end.

We have had some hard-fought games with my old club since we returned to the club and I'd expect this one to be a tight affair as well.

'The players are currently taking a couple of days off after their exertions in England and I hope that allows them to freshen up.

We've got a hectic schedule at present and as well as working hard on the training ground, we must ensure everyone has sufficient rest too.

That's especially the case with the small squad we have and at the weekend there could be an opportunity for some of those who didn't play in midweek to get some action.

James Beattie needs to get minutes under his belt while Nikica Jelavic is available again and Vladimir Weiss will want to be involved.

They will all be considered and with Andy Webster and John Fleck back in the picture again, it's pleasing I have a fully-fit pool with plenty of options to turn to'.

Good stuff - hopefully we'll see Fleck at some point on Saturday as he looked good in pre-season.

Next Tuesday's match at home to Dunfermline in the CIS Cup should also help bring back a few of the fringe players.

:)