RST AGM Tomorrow

Well, someone forgetting to pay back some cash they're due (what was it �£30?) is no more of an issue than the person responsible for reminding them about it taking so long to do so. How big an issue is this though? Within most companies (even the best run ones) a similar situation regarding a similarly small amount of cash wouldn't be much of an issue at all. The cause of missing money would be tracked down & sorted out eventually then that would be the end of it. The director who'd forgotten to give the accounts department �£30 he owed for something wouldn't be asked to resign over the issue and nor would the bookkeeper or person responsible in accounts no matter whether they were self-serving imbiciles or not. On top of that, even if it was a badly failing company hanging on to survival by a thread, the better of the company directors wouldn't be up in arms along with half the company shareholders over a 'forgotten-about' or 'misplaced' �£30 now would they???

Yes, the RST has become more and more of a joke, but all this fuss over a few (probably genuinely) forgotten about sheckles is a joke too. Why couldn't you just have done the job properly and quietly with the aid of an assassin or a hooker and some video tapes? :fish:

The amount of the debt outstanding at 5 April 2009 was �£2690. The amount of the debt outstanding at 5 April 2010 was �£30.

The amount of the debt outstanding at 5 April 2009 was �£2690. The amount of the debt outstanding at 5 April 2010 was �£30.

How do you know the first bit? It's a question I've raised but there's been no official answer.

If you are correct, that represents over 35% of the profit made from functions that year. That is material and disclosable. End of.

I have to agree with you about the club being owned by the fans. It's not something I support or expect ever to see.

The Trust should be about whatever we decide it to be about - there is nothing to say it has to be about owning the club, although that could certainly be one of the possible outcomes. In my opinion it should actually be about building bridges between the fans and the club, about having a democratic system of consultation that genuinely allows supporter opinion to be voiced at board level - and, if necessary, to organise supporters protest where club owners take a direction that is contrary to the interests of most of those in the stands.

At the moment we have none of these things. The current RST is an agent for division and factionalism.

I am in support of fans ownership but realise it's an impossible dream unless there is some multi millionaire out there willing to underwrite our aspirations. However i think the supporters could and should aim for some form of genuine representation on the Rangers board, not just there at the behest of others or tolerated to message our ego's. but real participation in the decision making process at board level. Our contribution to the running of the club can only come from us buying our way into the corridors of power, money talks and doors open with it. So we must therefore raise the necessary financial clout to have our voice heard. I have no argument for or against the RST as i am not an member and have not taken part in this debate as the arguments are none of my business. But as an outsider looking in i feel the RST in it's present form is mortally wounded, however something good could be salvaged from their ruins, without sounding mercenary they allegedly have some good funds which could be used as an foundations to any new phoenix raised from their ashes. This could be used to gain the supporters the voice to help in the future direction of our club, Many supporters over the various forums are saying they are prepared to contribute to an fund for this purpose of purchasing our way to board level, whether this fund could be continued in the present manner by purchasing shares or agreeing to allow a portion of the fund each year for an contributing too the general financial running of our club. We have an ambassador in waiting to represent the supporters, Walter Smith is retiring from football management next year, but he may be persuaded to represent our aspiration as head of or administrator of this fund?

I am in support of fans ownership but realise it's an impossible dream unless there is some multi millionaire out there willing to underwrite our aspirations. However i think the supporters could and should aim for some form of genuine representation on the Rangers board, not just there at the behest of others or tolerated to message our ego's. but real participation in the decision making process at board level. Our contribution to the running of the club can only come from us buying our way into the corridors of power, money talks and doors open with it. So we must therefore raise the necessary financial clout to have our voice heard. I have no argument for or against the RST as i am not an member and have not taken part in this debate as the arguments are none of my business. But as an outsider looking in i feel the RST in it's present form is mortally wounded, however something good could be salvaged from their ruins, without sounding mercenary they allegedly have some good funds which could be used as an foundations to any new phoenix raised from their ashes. This could be used to gain the supporters the voice to help in the future direction of our club, Many supporters over the various forums are saying they are prepared to contribute to an fund for this purpose of purchasing our way to board level, whether this fund could be continued in the present manner by purchasing shares or agreeing to allow a portion of the fund each year for an contributing too the general financial running of our club. We have an ambassador in waiting to represent the supporters, Walter Smith is retiring from football management next year, but he may be persuaded to represent our aspiration as head of or administrator of this fund?

That's part of the problem I'm afraid. No one like Walter Smith would ever touch such a chalice until the poison is removed. Fair idea though.

Guest Dylanger

I've actually read through all of this.

There are a number of strange areas, attitudes etc and really not a lot of solutions tbh.

Like others I have a strong interest in the RST-I'm a lifetime member and an ex-board member-I followed the mass resignations by taking a place on the board. I am very aware of what it is like to be inside and indeed outside of it.

Where I maybe differ is that I've been able to leave the RST board and in the main keep reasonable relationships with most of the RST board although I don't really have that close contact. Whatever differences that I had with certain parties have been discussed to some extent, hatchets have been buried in some cases in other cases relationships became tetchy and certainly I have the odd regular sparring partners on FF-one in particular I never agree with but have the utmost respect for. Certainly since late last year FF has allowed me the platform to challenge on a regular basis what I describe as "the network" view and this often has led into RST related matters.

There are seperate issues-there are clearly groups of individuals split over different forums who are now effectively at war and we all know the first casualty of that. I know in certain cases I am regularly seeing factually incorrect stuff presented as fact over related matters-the current Davie Edgar thread on RM for example. I have also seen first hand the emotion involved so it wouldn't surprise me that there may well be distortions and lies coming from elsewhere on historical issues where I don't know the facts.

I don't think this is fixable at all and you won't get unity. I know for example there are groups I would never get involved with. There is no written law that just because you are a Rangers fan and you have the best interests of the club at heart that you will sit down with others who have similar aims but in your own opinion have crossed the line. I wouldn't expect others to do that with me. I think you can forget the unity issue it simply won't happen.

As for the RST. I've been critical over aspects I remain so however imho the situation has fundamentally changed and continues to change. I accept there are miles to go. We could argue the strategic detail for the future imho some are looking to run before they can walk. Ultimately imho the RST can only be changed through the functions of the organisation not through protest or web forum activity. I would guess internally there's things going on and still issues to be resolved. It's up to the current board to look at fixing the current issues and planning ahead. What is also required is the membership to get more involved.

If I were to guess what is going to happen then imho externally not much will change but internally things will continue to change but it'll be a slow process and it will take a long time for perceptions to change.

The RST internally has to make big changes, transparency must emerge and communications must improve, they need to deal with certain current issues but frankly I don't see how they can look externally and take too much from all this web debating/outrage except to note that the issues that have long been debated still exist.

Edited by Dylanger

DG:

I agree with much of what you've written there and your conclusions are certainly as likely as anyone else who cares to analyse the situation.

I do disagree with your opinion that that unity cannot be found. I feel there are too many talented people across the various forums (be it online sites or 'official' fan groups) who won't allow what is a very small minority of people bickering to stop them examining the existing faults and finding solutions for them.

I'm not naive enough to realise that deep, deep divisions exist. When you read the kind of stuff we have over the last week - very strong accusations from each side - then one quickly notices the divide is a gaping one and certain relationships have completely broken down. But like you say, this division is nothing new, it just needs people to approach it differently.

The problem is that when you have an organisation like the Trust which has struggled to be successful in any case (under any regime I hasten to add), and you add the controversy of the last week (and beyond) then it is no wonder it is failing to deliver in an uncertain club climate which should be aiding its chances. It has appears to have no direction whatsoever.

As such, to keep it simple, if the Trust doesn't find that unity then it will never be successful. The trust required just won't be there if they allow a few individuals (on both sides) to continue to cloud their judgement in terms of reaching out to fans that have to be reached.

At this moment in time, I'd say the Trust's reputation has never been lower. Financially it is struggling; members-wise it doesn't convince; there are few recent achievements to admire; communication is poor; outreach activities are biased; leadership is non-existent; the board seem to be pulling against each other; outwith FF (and even on there if we're fair) their reputation is often akin to mud; and this is only the moderate criticisms. Yet some elsewhere would have to believe the garden is rosy.

They can either accept the difficult challenge above by drawing a line under past issues and starting from scratch with the aid of everyone genuinely interested in helping. Or they can dissolve the organisation as we know it and allow others to step in.

We need a leader to step forward and show everyone exactly where they stand.