The difference is that Eck had almost 4 years at the start of last season. This meant he had time to sort it and so was more open to criticism, criticism which was ultimately justified by no trophies and 3rd place and puntuated by the 10 games without a win.

Under Eck we were playing so badly - even when we won, that we couldn't see light at the end of the tunnel after collecting 3 points.

If we win nothing this season, scrape the league due to other results the next season and then win nothing again the season after while playing dire football like we did last season. I'll be calling for Le Guen's head too.

The comparison is a very false one indeed.

PLG's previous 3 seasons of management have brought him 3 French championships and two CL quarterfinals while his team played excellent football. I think that has earned him more than a couple of months of time in a new job.

If Eck was on the back of an accomplished 3 in a row with good European results and good football on the pitch, I think we'd have given him more time last season too.

But by then it was too late - he should have changed it after Hibs took the lead as it was obvious we were struggling. It took us 68 minutes to have a shot on goal - 68 fookin minutes....

ah, so now we've changed from "he wont change it" to "he will change it, but far too late"? ;)

ah, so now we've changed from "he wont change it" to "he will change it, but far too late"? ;)

Yip - if he had studiued DVD's from last season, the one thing that would have hit him harder than most was the fact that a 2 man midfield doesn't work in the SPL.

I know this is his preferred formation and that it worked in France, but it isn't working here (as yet - and in all honesty doesn't look like working here).

The difference is that Eck had almost 4 years at the start of last season. This meant he had time to sort it and so was more open to criticism, criticism which was ultimately justified by no trophies and 3rd place and puntuated by the 10 games without a win.

Under Eck we were playing so badly - even when we won, that we couldn't see light at the end of the tunnel after collecting 3 points.

If we win nothing this season, scrape the league due to other results the next season and then win nothing again the season after while playing dire football like we did last season. I'll be calling for Le Guen's head too.

The comparison is a very false one indeed.

PLG's previous 3 seasons of management have brought him 3 French championships and two CL quarterfinals while his team played excellent football. I think that has earned him more than a couple of months of time in a new job.

If Eck was on the back of an accomplished 3 in a row with good European results and good football on the pitch, I think we'd have given him more time last season too.

But at Lyon, PLG had a Chairman that backed him 100%, gave him cash to spend on players when required and they also had an established youth set-up that delivered players year after year. PLG doesn't have that at Ibrox.

Cammy F

Cannot agree - BF carried Rangers for a few seasons, played on whilst UNFIT and drove us to at least 2 SPL victories. His positive contributions far outweigh his 'negative' contributions. I would drop him and put in in the reserves until he is fully fit - then he would be an automatic choice for me.

I think last season proved that you can not play in teh SPL with only 2 midfiled players. Fergie was outstanding for us when played in a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 formation - this allowed him to dictate play, burst into the box and score goals.

Will PLG alter his preferred 4-2-3-1 formation? I very much doubt it.

Cammy F

I can only remember him having one really good season, when he was playing with RdBoer under DA. All the seasons after that we have only had excuses about his fitness. Winning the League was not so much our brilliance but poor opponents.

I can only remember him having one really good season, when he was playing with RdBoer under DA. All the seasons after that we have only had excuses about his fitness. Winning the League was not so much our brilliance but poor opponents.

So the year we won the league on the last game of the season didn't count? BF played thro injury, taking pain killing injections that meant he was physically sick before, after and sometimes during games, doesn't count.

As for 'poor opponents' surely that applies to the vast majority of our 9-in-a-row league titles? Or is AM the only Rangers manager to triumph over 'poor opponents'?

Cammy F

Guest The_Rock

After the old firm and dunfermiline games , we should have a clear look at what our season will be like , 2 defeats and i fear another 3rd place is innevitable , still cant blame le guen , he needs money like everybody else , still yesterday hibs have alot less money than us so that was down too a poor team selection in my oppinion .

So the year we won the league on the last game of the season didn't count? BF played thro injury, taking pain killing injections that meant he was physically sick before, after and sometimes during games, doesn't count.

As for 'poor opponents' surely that applies to the vast majority of our 9-in-a-row league titles? Or is AM the only Rangers manager to triumph over 'poor opponents'?

Cammy F

That is exactly what i meant about Barry making excuses. You are not going to tell me you would put Fergie in the same class as Gascoigne. That team were played better than all other teams. The helicopter season counts for us winning the league but if we are really honest sceptic were the better team that season.

So, players like Emerson, Capucho, Jeffers et al were given time before being described as duds, not Rangers class etc? All of them had shown at previous clubs and at international level that they were 'decent buys' but failed to deliver at Rangers.

Cappucho was given plenty of time. Jeffers was a dud at two previous clubs so a very poor choice of example there. He also failed to score in over 20 games so I think the criticism was well justified. Sebo has already beaten that record by scoring in his first full league game, so I don't know what your comparison is... Emerson was also not performing at his previous club and was given plenty of time as well. He did not even look like he was trying and was being outplayed by SPL journeymen.

As for Svensson, I said when he signed that he would be a squad player at best, as he was young, untested at this level and 'raw'. I was rubbished and was told that he would be a first choice player and a good one at that. I may not be a Rangers scout but I think I can tell when a centre-half is rotten in the air and cant pass a ball 10 yards. Andrews was better than the current 2 centres he have. Papac will be an improvement if he ever gets to play at centre-half.

Bullshit, its the exact same problems - we cannot defend, we cannot kill teams off, we cannot retain the ball from a throw-in and we are no longer creating chances - the exact same problems we had last season.

When you have a car that breaks its gearbox and then get another car that breaks its gearbox - it does not mean you have failed to fix the old car - it is not the same problem, it is a similar problem. However, it does mean you have to fix the new car.

We are not creating chances yet have scored 14 goals in 7 games including 1 in the last game.

Well, I'll take all back - maybe we will get a prize at the end of the season for being the top scorers in the league - I'd rather have the leafue title thanks. We aren't scoring enough goals as we are drawing games. We have to score 3-4 goals per-game to ensure that we win...

Eh, so I've proved you wrong and you "change the game"... Good bit of diversion there. Maybe you don't realise that being the highest scorers and champions is not mutually exclusive?

It seems to me that your analysis is wrong, we are not drawing games due to lack of goals, more by letting in cheap ones at the back.

What, supposed fit, professional players are 'burnt out' after 8 games? Jeez, we are in trouble - imagine the state of them after 20 games.

Let's see, it's well known Prso has a dodgy knee and was injured in warm up against hibs and Burke is just back from injury. Boyd has played quite a few games and we need to try out Sebo. Barry needs to get back to full fitness.

We've got two games a week for a while and you're against resting players while getting others up to fitness and trying out new players while a new team is being formed.

You definitely act like one of those "fickle old firm fans" who would rather put a win today before long term success. A manager with a new team has to tinker at the beginning and plan for the long term.

So if we lose the next 3 games, we shouldn't 'audit' the accounts a bit early then?

No, a new manager with an impeccable record needs time for his influence to count. We are not a club who have 3 different managers in a season and nor would I want us to become one.

PLG definitely needs time, there's no doubt about that and I don't think anyone is on the guy's back seriously. Some of us need to remember just how rank rotten we were last season.

But, its because we know how bad we were last season, that we can't understand how some of the same patterns are repeating themselves this season. Over the last few seasons, this is one of the worst Gers defences I've ever seen. Maybe having a keeper like Klos hid just how bad the problem is, but why can we not get a solid back four any more?

That is exactly what i meant about Barry making excuses..

What, taking pain-killing injections and playing thro a painfull injury and helping your team (thro great performances and goals) is making excuses? I wish that some of our other players would make the same excuses instead of hiding in the treatment room.

You are not going to tell me you would put Fergie in the same class as Gascoigne ...
Off course I wouldn't, there aren't many Rangers players (past or present) that in the same class as Gazza

That team were played better than all other teams. ...
What team? The team that had to beat AFC on the last game of the season? Or the team that had to come back from 1-0 down at home to AFC to claim 8 in a row? Look, all league victories are the same - you win the league, you are the best team in the league - end of story.

The helicopter season counts for us winning the league but if we are really honest sceptic were the better team that season.
No they weren't - if they were better than us, they would have won the league - they didn't we did...

Cammy F