Charlie Adam

He never really shone for us, but he is now shining brightly for Blackpool. The boy has done good.

Shame he never put in a decent turn for us but we have moved on, as has he!

You mean he is a Blackpool light.:whistle:

I know why some people are sick of us talking about players who've gone, but in Adam's case I think its interesting to see his constant improvement since leaving us, especially given the fact he was a favourite for the boo boys when he was here. When he first went and was doing well in the Championship, many were saying he'd "found his level", but he's now getting rave reviews in the Premiership too.

Is it not reasonable for fans to wonder why he didn't make the most of his time with us? Was it down to him and his attitude, or should he have been given his chance in the centre of the park to show just what he could do? Did coaching/training and/or diet have anything to do with it? He was often criticised for trying to pull off the difficult passes instead of keeping things simple, but he seems to have shown that he is more than capable of pulling the strings in a central role, so should our coaching team not have been able to recognise this?

Of course, it could just have been a case of the wrong player playing for the wrong coaching staff at the wrong time. Maybe the move to Blackpool was a wake-up call for him personally, but if it was, well done to the lad for grabbing the opportunity with both hands. Just a shame things didn't work out for him up here.

I know why some people are sick of us talking about players who've gone, but in Adam's case I think its interesting to see his constant improvement since leaving us, especially given the fact he was a favourite for the boo boys when he was here. When he first went and was doing well in the Championship, many were saying he'd "found his level", but he's now getting rave reviews in the Premiership too.

Is it not reasonable for fans to wonder why he didn't make the most of his time with us? Was it down to him and his attitude, or should he have been given his chance in the centre of the park to show just what he could do? Did coaching/training and/or diet have anything to do with it? He was often criticised for trying to pull off the difficult passes instead of keeping things simple, but he seems to have shown that he is more than capable of pulling the strings in a central role, so should our coaching team not have been able to recognise this?

Of course, it could just have been a case of the wrong player playing for the wrong coaching staff at the wrong time. Maybe the move to Blackpool was a wake-up call for him personally, but if it was, well done to the lad for grabbing the opportunity with both hands. Just a shame things didn't work out for him up here.

I think I would get the relevance of this more if we were doing badly but I think it's difficult to blame coaching staff when we've got plenty of players doing a good job and quite a few of them improving while they are here.

I don't think you can argue with the coaching staff's success rate in results and trophy haul and you can't expect every player in a squad to blossom to his full potential - especially when the club's own fans are hostile towards him. Walter may have kept him for a bit longer if the latter was not the case - he was certainly taking flack for playing him at all.

As to his position, was he not also played wide left by PLG? Rangers don't have the luxury of trying players out in different positions and persevering when results are needed just to gamble to "give them a run". PLG was sacked because he didn't get this aspect and while WS might be Mr Cautious, his approach has peerless results.

Fans bellyache all the time about this kind of stuff but then are the first to go apeshit when we don't get the results.

The real question is whether Adam would have improved our results this season so far? The answer is absolutely no chance and there's no guarantee that we would have had such a good start to the season with him in the team.

In the end, many of the fans despised him and his manager lost faith in him after standing by him for a fair amount of time in the face of this unpopularity. Fresh starts can galvanise players who are not robots and can be fairly enigmatic. Uncountable variables are also different, which can affect how a player blossoms - just like diferrent climate, soil, terroire affects which vines flourish where.

With our current success I don't think it's a big discussion point.

Looking back at that time he was up against Barry Ferguson in the centre of midfield. As much as i am not a Barry fan I still think he is a far better player than Charlie Adams and he is also getting rave reviews in the EPL. Now he would be up against Lee McCulloch and Stevie Davis for a centre spot and again he would fail to outshine these two imo. Him going was the best decision for himself as he would not have been guaranteed a first team start every week. As someone else said the only sad point is that we sold him so cheaply.

Looking back at that time he was up against Barry Ferguson in the centre of midfield. As much as i am not a Barry fan I still think he is a far better player than Charlie Adams and he is also getting rave reviews in the EPL. Now he would be up against Lee McCulloch and Stevie Davis for a centre spot and again he would fail to outshine these two imo. Him going was the best decision for himself as he would not have been guaranteed a first team start every week. As someone else said the only sad point is that we sold him so cheaply.

Can't disagree with any of that. In the light of Adam's good form in the EPL these sorts of threads were inevitable, but people often overlook the fact that Rangers are in fact a better side than Blackpool, therefore he always had a better chance of standing out down the road than at Ibrox in a team full of internationals. With players like Davis, McCulloch, Naismith etc. nobody would expect Walter to build a team around Charlie Adam, which is exactly what Holloway has done at Blackpool.

Always good to see Bears do well wherever they are, and for all that some questioned his attitude at Rangers, he seemed a decent sort and never went in the huff despite attracting far more stick than Ferguson and Boyd ever did.

I watched Charlie come through the same youth team as Ross McCormack, they were both stand outs. Right from the off, it was obvious that Adam had a great range of passing, facilitated by the manner he played ie he kept his head up at all times. As a heads up player, Charlie could see more of what was on and his sweet left peg was 99% bang on the money.

I do not think he let himself down when starting for Rangers, genuinely I was happy that PLG gave him his opportunity in his famous 4-2-3-1 plan. I am sure someone will provide the official starts, but I hazzard Charlie started 80-90 games and scored somewhere approaching 30 goals? The vast majority of these appearances were wide left in a four man midfield.

A vocal section of the Rangers support treated him abysmally, largely the cyber support were worse. The first part is nothing new, Charlie Miller got it, Iain MacDonald got it, Dennis Setterington got it, ................. etc. There is an element of our support that delight in eating our own.

Charlie is making a good living from the game and I hope(believe) he will move on to bigger things, maybe an Everton or a Spurs will take a chance on him?

tbh, in two successive matches Adam stamped on opposition players while playing for us. No deal was ever made of it by the media, the fans, or anyone else for that matter.

I've disliked his attitude ever since that, and was glad he left.

That he bloomed at Blackpool is neither here nor there.

I was unhappy to see him leave Rangers because he's an excellent player who had no desire to go. He wanted to play for us, wanted to be part of a winning Rangers FC. I was very very dissapointed that the club sold both Adam and Fergie for a combined total of less than half of what we paid for Lafferty. That, IMO is [bleep] inexcusable & unforgivable in terms of running the club well in a financial sense. No wonder we've got [bleep] financial problems.

I was unhappy to see him leave Rangers because he's an excellent player who had no desire to go. He wanted to play for us, wanted to be part of a winning Rangers FC. I was very very dissapointed that the club sold both Adam and Fergie for a combined total of less than half of what we paid for Lafferty. That, IMO is [bleep] inexcusable & unforgivable in terms of running the club well in a financial sense. No wonder we've got [bleep] financial problems.

Agreed..........................:thup: