From The Scotsman

NIKICA Jelavic has handed Rangers a boost by insisting he's on course to be back before the end of the year.

The Croatian international was looking an exciting prospect for the Ibrox side after signing for �£4 million in August.

However, he suffered ankle ligament damage after a tackle from Hearts midfielder Ian Black in a match at Tynecastle earlier this month. But the former Rapid Vienna striker has revealed he is delighted with his recovery and expects to be back playing for Rangers next month.

Jelavic said: "I work hard every single day, from morning to night. The only time I stop is to go home for lunch. Now I am slowly beginning to stretch the ankle and soon I will let off my crutches.

"Then I will get back training again. I expect to be back playing before the start of the new year.

"The hardest part of being a footballer is when you are not playing. When I got my injury, the club asked me where I wanted to do my rehabilitation and what doctors I wanted to see. And, after speaking with them, I decided to go to Croatia because I have recovered from injuries there before successfully.

"But I know my target: I want to come back at the top and not have to look at more surgery in a year, or something."

Jelavic has been thrilled at the progress made by his team-mates in his absence.

He said: "We got a point against Valencia in the last game of the Champions League, but we should have won because we missed two open goals.

"It is important we don't lose our next game in Valencia because our final match is away to Bursaspor and we would have a real chance of qualifying."