Kenny Miller - Another mercenary or underpaid and undervalued?

I don't disagree with you but It's interesting when they tried it in the pastwith certain players the messageboards were full of criticism of the board.

He won't be missed? If he wasn't playing over the last month or so then he would be severely missed even though he hasn't been on top form. A returning Jelavic wouldn't be a replacement for Miller anyway as presumably he would be in the team with Miller. What other forward at the club could contribute what Miller has done this season?

I have never criticised the board for offering too little, but often for offering too much. I appreciate there are many who have done so however.

He wont be missed on the basis that he has probably had his decent run of form for the season (he usually has one hot streak then much more mediocrity), and the return of Jelavic will see us not so dependant. Dont get me wrong I am not doing down his scoring record this season which has been fantastic by any players standards and supersonic for a player of Miller's record and ability, and without his goals this season we would have been struggling. The flip side is of course that if he wasnt here, who is to say whoever was playing number 9 wouldnt have got just as many goals as Miller, given the chances our team were creating in the early months of the season. All hypothetical mate.

He joined Derby when they were still a Premier League team and Billy Davies was manager. That was a good move for a player who wasn't happy at Celtic, but it turned sour for him down there. Derby started the season totally shit, Miller couldn't score in a barrel of fannies, Davies engineered his own departure from the club & Miller was being managed by Jewell before the xmas lights went up. Derby still couldn't win games under Jewell and by January they were almost certain to be getting relegated. I'm actually surprised that he didn't wriggle his way into a move in the January, but he obviously missed the life boat and had to stick with the sinking ship till the summer. I'd say his move back to us was also to do with him having enjoyed working with Walter & Ally previously and he thought he could be happy playing under them at Rangers. Quite a few more factors than just geographical.

If Walter and Ally were managing a club on the south coast of England, I doubt very much if he would have signed for them. His move back was for family reasons, and therefore geographic, which I commend him for putting his family first, and is the main reason we should play hardball with him now.

So what's the deal with Miller? I'm assuming we have an upper bracket in our wage structure which is the most we'll offer a player in terms of a basic salary. There's mention that Beattie will be on more than Miller, but I'd have thought Miller, on this season, would justify being on the top tier of weekly salary, even though it may be a step down from what he's currently on? Is that not the case?

I also see what TannochsideBear is saying as we've seen this season that no Boyd doesn't mean no goals. Rangers and Celtic should be creating a higher percentage of chances in the league compared with other sides, so as I've always said, any decent front pairing should be getting a reasonable amount of goals in the SPL assuming our midfield is up to scratch.

I can kinda see why Miller would both want and feel justified in wanting a pay rise. It wouls be tough to argue that he hasn't improved his game and especially his goalscoring over the last three seasons. Yes, he still misses chances and is one of the most frustrating players I've seen at Ibrox, but he was signed as a second striker rather than a goalscorer and over the past 18 months he has become both. He can justifiably say that he is worth a pay rise. If I jad made those improvements in my work and my contract was coming up for renewal then I would be looking for a hike in salary, especially if there were those being paid equally or more yet contributing far less.

As for the age thing, well again he can argue that what he loses in his physical prowess is made up for in experience and reading of the game, which will only improve as his career continues. And, as for the sell-on value, he can then claim that what he contributes to Rangers winning trophies and qualification for the Champions League would balance out the lack of any resale.

To me this doesn't make him a mercenary at all. It's just a guy negotiating a new contract, trying to get what he feels he is worth in the current market. He then looks at the offer - or offers - he has and makes a decision based on several things - his happiness, his family, his ambitions and of course money. I think loyalty is a pretty outdated concept in football - nobody would question my loyalty to my employer if I left for another for more money or a better position or even a new and interesting experience.

That is all well and good Totti, but what about when we have injuries and/or suspensions ? Losing Miller is one thing but he would need to be replaced. Miller is socring for fun and it would be difficult to replace his strike-rate.

Naismith and Jelavic would probably make for a good partnership I agree, but with an injury to, say, Naismith we would be looking at Jelavic and Beattie, or Jelavic and Lafferty - neither of those two partnerships makes for particularly comfortable reading, and certainly not as much as a Jelavic & Miller partnership would.

Juff, very good post.

Jelavic and Fleck would be worth a go in that case, I'd like to see Fleck get a run in a 4-4-2 just off the main striker. Two out and out strikers up top is extreme fail but that won't stop Walter

Jelavic/Fleck, Jelavic/Naisy sounds pretty good to me. But from what i've seen so far, Jelavic/Miller had already started to bear fruit after a very short time of getting to know each other. Also due to Naismiths probing in behind they 3 are looking like causing havoc for us in the near future. I think it we should go all out to preserve this spearhead.