Kenny Miller - Another mercenary or underpaid and undervalued?

There is that BD, that none of us know the exact details. Its the same as the Boyd situation, I really don't understand the need for drip-feeding stories to the press. Everyone involved is an adult and there's going to be people on all sides who speak to each other or see each other daily. I've never understood why things aren't just sorted out face to face by these people. Its hard not to be cynical when things like this drag on in an industry where everyone's handsomely rewarded for doing a job most people would give their left nut to have a chance at.

KM gets paid extremely well and as far as I am concerned over the odds for playing at his level, the SPL. If he was paid by performance on the big stage CL....he would owe us money, four years without a CL goal.

The club wouldnt be in debt if that were the case as MOST of our players would be owing us money. We have had very few who have performed well on the CL stage in the last 4 years.

The club wouldnt be in debt if that were the case as MOST of our players would be owing us money. We have had very few who have performed well on the CL stage in the last 4 years.

And with that you get it in one, a club paying top dollar or as top as we can manage, but certainly well above the rest of SPL clubs, selik in the same boat as us...for far from quality goods, but sufficient for our own market place.

We have a player who only came to us for geographic reasons.

He joined Derby when they were still a Premier League team and Billy Davies was manager. That was a good move for a player who wasn't happy at Celtic, but it turned sour for him down there. Derby started the season totally shit, Miller couldn't score in a barrel of fannies, Davies engineered his own departure from the club & Miller was being managed by Jewell before the xmas lights went up. Derby still couldn't win games under Jewell and by January they were almost certain to be getting relegated. I'm actually surprised that he didn't wriggle his way into a move in the January, but he obviously missed the life boat and had to stick with the sinking ship till the summer. I'd say his move back to us was also to do with him having enjoyed working with Walter & Ally previously and he thought he could be happy playing under them at Rangers. Quite a few more factors than just geographical.

That's the way I see it mate.

I understand an extra couple of million is attractive but he's more than comfortable already financially so I'd have thought this was a chance to retain an acceptable wage but also attain a status he won't have otherwise.

Definitely mate, although what MF has mentioned is now in play. Whyte could stick to his guns and with the promise of the club going forward on the financial front, and the ability to buy players that could see us continue domestic dominance, Miller will have to like it or lump it.

It'd be a case of, here's the offer, we're going onto better things, it's up to you!

There is that BD, that none of us know the exact details. Its the same as the Boyd situation, I really don't understand the need for drip-feeding stories to the press. Everyone involved is an adult and there's going to be people on all sides who speak to each other or see each other daily. I've never understood why things aren't just sorted out face to face by these people. Its hard not to be cynical when things like this drag on in an industry where everyone's handsomely rewarded for doing a job most people would give their left nut to have a chance at.

Welcome to Ibrox

There seems to be a bit of a trend starting with players and contracts (Novo, Boyd, perhaps Thomson?...now Miller) - thats obviously down to our financial situation and it wouldnt be nice to finally see a player take what is offered (affordable to the club) rather than attempt to better themselves but fail. Obviously each players situation has been different, like Novo wanted to stay but couldnt agree the right deal.

However I can see the players point of few in Miller's case. He is looking for a last decent contract before his playing days are up yet he has been asked to take a pay CUT and not earning what "Beattie who hasnt kicked a ball" is on. Surely if there was a bit of honesty in this then the extra money could come in the effect of performance, appearance and goals bonuses that way he will be giving all during his contract.

There is also a trend with players playing well when a contract is due - Ricksen, Lovenkrands, Boyd last Dec...but Miller has been playing well all season and last, so I dont think he is purely playing for a deal.

We have to take into consideration that players these days done see it through the eyes of the average man on the street. They are living in a different league when it comes to pound signs and their lifestyles are based around this. On the same note everyone who posts on here is looked upon as super rich to people in 3rd world countries yet we dont bat an eyelid and just complain we could all be done with an extra 50, 100, 500 quid a month - which would feed a family of 10 in some countries yet maybe only pay a phone bill for some of us - this is just the world we live in.

Im a fan of Miller. He risked a lot rejoining us and no matter what some fans think of him for once playing for Celtic (albeit thats the fans problem) he has gave it all and has been a very important member of the team in the last 2 season. I hope he signs up for the last 3 years of his playing career.

End of the day,he hasn't stated he wants out. He wants to finish his career winning trophies. He's earnt a better contract IMO and with possible new owners he's following good advice to hold out a little longer to see if he can get more money. No one knows what he's asking for, may not be that much at all. Can see where he's coming from despite our financial situation, he shouldnt be made to feel like he should take a cut when he's been consistantly one of our better performers not to mention an international.