Referee apologised over Rangers penalty

INVERNESS boss Terry Butcher last night revealed how referee Calum Murray apologised to him for gifting Rangers a penalty last week.

The blundering whistler was responsible for handing the Ibrox side a golden chance to win last Saturday's 1-1 draw in the Highlands when he judged James Beattie had been fouled in the box by Stuart Duff.

But TV pictures showed the Light Blues sub making the most of the second-half flashpoint before justice was done as Kenny Miller's spot-kick was saved by Caley Thistle hero Ryan Esson.

Butcher has been a strong supporter of Scottish referees during the recent controversy which saw them go on strike.

And he revealed Murray made a bee-line for him after the game to admit he got it wrong.

Butcher said: "The ref came up to me after the match and said sorry .

"Another official had got in touch to say it might not have been a penalty. But I have no problem with it."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2010/12/16/referee-apologised-over-rangers-penalty-reveals-inverness-boss-terry-butcher-86908-22787256/

I think it was quite a soft decision but the guy certainly put his hands on our player (as happened with Broadfoot) so a foul was always likely...

Is it any wonder the referees have their authority challenged by players/managers when they can't even stand by their own decisions afterwards?

They need to man up and fast!

I think it was quite a soft decision but the guy certainly put his hands on our player (as happened with Broadfoot) so a foul was always likely...

Is it any wonder the referees have their authority challenged by players/managers when they can't even stand by their own decisions afterwards?

They need to man up and fast!

I don't have a problem with refs admitting errors after games. It's better than standing by obviously incorrect decisions (aklthough i don;t think that this necessarily falls into that category.)

You have to wonder how many times refs apologise to Walter for errors. I guess we'll never find out as Walter probably would not go public with private conversations, unlike other managers.

Butcher's a wank of a man,why he feels the need to go to the press with this,especially at this particular time,is beyond me and gains nothing from it. Maybe he should have spoken about the Naismith miss,and the other chances we had against his team

Do you honestly believe that if that had been Celtic ,ICT were playing and the same thing happened that Butcher would have come out in the press with it

Butcher is as bas them. He's came out a few times claiming favouritism towards us by referees.

it just adds fuel to the fire. It might have been a bit soft but we've had a load of similar, soft penalties given against us - and for Celtic. It's time we all agreed on what is a penalty and what is not - and defenders really need to stop manhandling attacking players, it's supposed to be against the rules... or is it these days? Make up your mind time.

I think we need some honesty brought back into the game in terms of players and managers. A referee tells a white lie to cover up a correct decision and gets sacked - maybe lying, cheating and diving players and lying managers should also be banned for life...

I think we need a system where the referee asks if a player is fouled - if he says yes, he get's the foul. However, if it is subsequently shown that they were lying then they receive cumulatively bigger sentences until they are banned for life, while multiple instances in a game can have a team deducted points.

It's not tolerated in golf, snooker, cycling etc - so why should cheating be "part of the game" in football? Even rugby have their house in a lot better order.

When will he come out and apologise for not giving us a penalty in the first half for hand ball???

It's the kind of penalty we've been given against us, but it wasn't a penalty. The apology is due for the mistake against us in another game.