Referee apologised over Rangers penalty

Butcher's a wank of a man,why he feels the need to go to the press with this,especially at this particular time,is beyond me and gains nothing from it. Maybe he should have spoken about the Naismith miss,and the other chances we had against his team

Exactly. If he had no problem with the awarding of a penalty to us then why goto the press a few days later.

It's the kind of penalty we've been given against us, but it wasn't a penalty. The apology is due for the mistake against us in another game.

This is the whole problem though,as it stands it's all down to interpritation of an incident as to wether it's a penalty or not.FWIW I think the hand ball was a penalty

I think that when the ball hits you and you don't gain an advantage then it's definitely not a foul.

An obvious example of it not being an advantage is when it would otherwise have hit another part of your body with similar rebound - there was one given recently when a defender was just protecting his face... The one at the weekend would have hit the players side and in addition his arm was in a natural position from where he'd have had to move it to an unnatural one in time in order to miss the ball.

I think that when the ball hits you and you don't gain an advantage then it's definitely not a foul.

An obvious example of it not being an advantage is when it would otherwise have hit another part of your body with similar rebound - there was one given recently when a defender was just protecting his face... The one at the weekend would have hit the players side and in addition his arm was in a natural position from where he'd have had to move it to an unnatural one in time in order to miss the ball.

Maybe I had a wee bit too much cider,also it was at the other end of the pitch from the Rangers end,but it looked like the ball struck the defenders hand, which was away from his body,and stopped a strike hitting the target!!!!,I've not seen the incident since the game,I'll need to have another look, but my point is any/every penalty could be described as dodgy/soft depending on the interpritation. Anyway,Butcher is still a wank and as you said he is only stoking the flames with his comments

Personally I think that the intentional -not intentional is such a grey area that we should use the same rule as a penalty corner in Hockey. If the ball hits your hand(foot in hockey) then it is a penalty whether it is intentional or not. It would make the refs decision a lot easier.

Personally I think that the intentional -not intentional is such a grey area that we should use the same rule as a penalty corner in Hockey. If the ball hits your hand(foot in hockey) then it is a penalty whether it is intentional or not. It would make the refs decision a lot easier.

Ain't that the truth, only sensible way to administer it.:thup:

What I always wonder about is just what the phrase 'going to the press' actually constitutes.

Did the person have a microphone thrust in their face and a leading question thrown at them? Did they blurt it out accidentally at a press conference? Were they asked a fair question at a press conference and answer a legimate response? Did they call a journo and fess up down the phone? Did they call a radio station and rant on air?

I'm never really sure when we see quotes in the press, just what their origin is.

Once again only a pen for Rangers gets any real press. What about the hand ball? Just forget about facts when dealing with the press.

PS Butchers is a fud and will never ger near managing Rangers, thats why he comes out with this stuff.

Actually Terry Butcher is an ex captain of Rangers and while you might think that counts for little I believe many othets will see it as reason enough to show a bit more respect than that. It's not so long since he was seen as instrumental in pulling this club out of the doghouse and restoring both pride and success. Whatever he does or doesn't say these days, never forget what he did for us twenty years ago.:mad: