January 2011 Transfer Window - Healy, Diouf and Bartley IN

It WAS a season long loan but Arsenal had the option to recall.

They obviously decided to send him to us and gain experience at a higher level (perhaps Arsenal believe he will be involved in the Europa - how little they know us...) or perhaps we are contributing more of his wages.

Not to get involved in semantics, but other sources say it was a season long loan to SU, which still raises the previous question. It appears that SU think that 27 year old Scot Neill Collins from Leeds is a better option and signed him.

Incorrect.

SU wanted to keep him but Arsenal had the right to recall the player.

Smith is also optimistic young defender Kyle Bartley can excel during his stay in Scotland after coming over the border from Arsenal on loan.

The 20-year-old has been borrowed by Sheffield United for much of the last year and it was his performances for the Bramall Lane outfit which impressed the boss.

Smith said: "Kyle's a young player who has gained a good reputation at Sheffield United on loan as he has done very well there.

"Our scouts have been watching him for a good few weeks now and when we knew he was available to us, he was a player we were keen to bring in.

"Considering we have lost Andy Webster, we need cover and with the number of games we have between now and the end of the season, he will feature for us."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20110201/diouf-is-no-risk_2254024_2282001

The squad needed freshening up and this could be what helps us to go on a run like we did at the start of the season. Our form has dipped dramatically over the winter, and fresh faces could halt the slide - even if just competing for places.

It seems most are reasonably happy with a transfer window that could have been disastrous. I think we'll miss Miller's goals but we may have been missing them soon enough if we'd kept him as he was already on the longest scoring run of his career, it was bound to end sometime.

I'm not excited by Healy as he seems to be another one of these strikers we sign from time to time who are past their best. Beattie and Velicka are recent painful members of that club as they also commanded over 2M in fees between them, that on hindsight could have been better spent in these lean times. At least our latest acquisition sounds like he was cheap.

Diouf is the most interesting signing, as like someone said, his behaviour puts his normally unaffordable talents within our reach.

Bartley sounds like he could be a helpful addition although I can only see him being used due to an injury of our regular defenders.

Getting rid of some of the deadwood, feels quite cathartic, a bit like after a huge dump... ;)

So let's hope the new guys can hit the ground running as we really need a good run of wins.

My thoughts on the new guys -

Diouf -

30 year old retired Senegal player with a very good scoring record at international level, but he's got a very poor scoring record in England. 44 goals in 290 appearances over eight and a half seasons in England doesn't fill me with hope or excitement. It's not absolutely awful and I realise he might have been getting played wide quite often(?), but it's still only an average of about 5 goals a season. Lets hope he turns it on for us because if he gets the game time we could be doing with 8 to 10 SPL goals from him between now and the end of the season. He holds the world record for spitting on opposition fans and players, which could come in handy.

Overall - I'll reserve judgement because he could turn out to be a cracking signing, but not exactly overwhelmed with excitement atm.

Healy -

A player we should have signed 6 or 7 seasons ago to catch at his peak and I think he's past it now at his age. His best years were playing for Preston and Leeds in Division 1 and the Championship respectively. Like Diouf, he has a good scoring record at international level and has played in the Premiership, so this means he's got good experience in his locker.

Overall - Again, not particularly excited, but he's a Rangers fan and I hope he proves me wrong with a comeback that helps us win this title.

Bartley -

This is an interesting signing and he might get a chance sooner than some fans think since Algeria play Tunisia a week tomorrow (9th Feb) and Bougherra is likely to be missing at least one game for us. Algeria then play Morocco on the 27th March, so not sure if Bougherra will miss a game around that time or not. Don't know much about the lad at all, but he must be a decent prospect if Arsenal signed him and Wenger gave him his debut in a Champions League match.

Overall - Hope we get to see a fair bit of him because Davie Wier is going to be tiring badly before this season is over. He's already showed signs of tiring and our schedule is going to get even more hectic. Hopefully Bartley is good enough to step in and give Weir a rest as well as replace Bougherra when he's absent.

I thought Diouf had only spat on a Celtic fan but it turns out he's spat on opposition fans a few times during his time in England.

:sad:

As for Bartley, I reckon he'll start no more than 6 games for us.