I'll be really pleased if we sign Commons and think it would be a bargain to snap him up on the cheap when you consider that he's been rated highly by some relatively big clubs like Everton with rumours of possible �£4m transfers in the past couple of seasons. If we could get him for as little as �£500k or thereabouts due to his contract running out like Miller's was it would be a terrific buy.

I've heard a lot of praise for Commons.

Apart from seeing some of his goals on Goals of the Week I haven't watched him play down south, but he was superb in a couple of his Scotland appearances. When Burley first called him up a lot of people were wondering WTF Burley was doing, but he's a cracking wee player.

There's a lot of Derby fans who can't wait to see the back of a guy.

"Mercenary tosser", "stopped bothering about DCFC", "we need consistent performers, not someone who performs 1 in 5 games" and "puts in half hearted performances" are a few of the comments some Derby fans are coming away with.

Wingers survive on confidence and go through regular peaks and troughs. Commons is likely to be exactly the same but does seem to have a reasonable pedigree and hasn't looked out of place in international football. �£0.5m seems a reasonable enough fee. I wonder if we might perhaps be trying to sign him up on a pre-contract in the hope that this then triggers Derby into accepting a permanent deal this transfer window rather than recoup nothing at all.