Smith Confirms Commons Interest

By Andrew Dickson

WALTER SMITH has confirmed Rangers' interest in Derby County winger Kris Commons as they seek to bolster their squad before the transfer window closes.

Light Blues chief executive Martin Bain spent this morning locked in discussions with the Midlands club as he tried to strike a deal with them for the Scotland winger.

Whether it is a loan move or a permanent one remains unclear but if Gers could bring the 27-year-old in for good it seems that's an option they would pursue.

Commons has won six caps for Craig Levein's national side and scored his first goal for them in the 3-0 friendly win over the Faroe Islands at Pittodrie in November.

Having started out at Stoke, he spent four years at Nottingham Forest until 2008 when he then moved to their big rivals County under freedom of contract.

Smith said: "He is someone we would be interested in trying to get at the present moment and we have made an inquiry.

"We are currently in talks with Derby to see exactly what the situation is with him (with regards to whether it would be a loan deal or a permanent move).

"He is in exactly the same position as Kenny Miller was in last week, where his contract expires at the end of the season.

"We've got the money from selling Kenny. I don't do the deals and Martin carries out that job but he was talking to them this morning.

"Kris can play a number of positions and that's important. We've such a small squad that when we get a player in, we look for them to do that."

While Smith is keen on Commons, he would not reveal whether or not he is attempting to bring Kris Boyd or Nacho Novo back to Ibrox.

But although he insisted he could not rule anything out, it seems any bid to capture Boyd again on loan would prove too costly.

Smith, who also stressed it is unlikely the deal which saw Andrius Velicka and Richard Foster swap clubs in August will end early, added: "It's a fairly simple one, that one.

"We couldn't afford to pay the money Middlesbrough were paying last season. We're still in the position where we can't afford to pay it now.

"There's a situation there where Kris left us for a club that could pay him more money. Whatever we're going to do in the transfer market, we'll do when it's possible.

"There has been enough speculation that I can't rule anything out just now, whoever it is about."

bain always seems to take far too long in negotiations what does my nut in!

hopefully he pulls his finger out and do a quick deal as he will be an excellent signing imo

ive seen alot of him this season and a decent player a tad inconsistant but what wingers arent

i have been privvy to the negotiations so far. here whats been said:

Martin bain : we are in a position to offer you a packet of jammy dodgers and half a mars bar for the services of chris commons. we can only pay you in installments of one jammy dodger a week over 8 weeks, ten weeks if we can get packets with 25% extra which im sure you will agree will be worth waiting for.

DC : we want half a millioin mr bain

MB : WTF!!!!!! walters wife will never fit them all in her basket at the supermarket! I now have to with draw the offer of half a mars bar as Alistair johnston has just eaten it.

DC : Not biscuits mr bain pounds sterling.

MB : oh we dont have any of that left, i got the last of it of it in my substantial wage rise 6 months ago, you know the one, it left us with fuck all to buy players with. you can swap him for that chair your sitting on and i haver 2 tickets to go to shark world adventure too!.

DC: FFS!