Smith Confirms Commons Interest

I heard last night Derby have received 2 offers US and the tarriers, they have offered more and are willing to give the higher wages, this was from a Derby player. To me he is now trying to see if Rangers will up their wage offer, not unheard of.

Remember this is someone who signed for his local Club Forest, who he had grew up supporting, then moved to their biggest rivals Derby for more money.

I fail to see how we can slag off the board for overspending one minute and then slag them off for not overspending the next...

Tell you something, I'd hate to take some of the people on here car hunting with me. I can see myself putting in a decent offer of what I think the car is worth, the seller then asks for too high a price which is more than it's worth and also more than I can afford, and whoever is with me tells me I'm a tight, incompetent idiot that should just pay up...

I can see the frustration, but surely you have to have a final, walk-away position in any negotiation? Or does everyone here just pay what people ask them for?

We will not sign anybody end of story. More lies from the club.

They never said we would sign anyone just that we're interested in a few players.

I do find our transfer activities embarrassing though.

As I say, it depends on what Commons is looking for vs what we are prepared to offer. If Commons is looking for 30k would we really blame Bain or would/should we congratulate him from walking away from the table ? If it is 10k then maybe we do blame him - until we know the quantum of the offer and demand I will hold judgement.

The figures being spoken about last night were that Bain was only offering Commons the reduced wage we were offering Miller in the contract he wasn't willing to accept which was supposedly �£14k (a reduction of 30-40% of what Miller was already on). If true, then Miller was making �£21k+. Reports are suggesting that Commons is looking for more like �£20k, closer to what Miller was making. It now looks like our player salary limit is restricted to only about 15% more than what Martin Bain is making himself.

We will not sign anybody end of story. More lies from the club.

Tell me where ANY official of the club said we WILL sign anyone ? You cant. Simples.

Trying to sign players is different from actually signing them. So you want us to pay over the odds for Commons just so the club can prove that they are true to their word (a word that they never actually gave BTW) ?

Nonsense. Where are the lies ? There are plenty of them at Ibrox these days but certainly NOT with regards this situation.

The figures being spoken about last night were that Bain was only offering Commons the reduced wage we were offering Miller in the contract he wasn't willing to accept which was supposedly �£14k (a reduction of 30-40% of what Miller was already on). If true, then Miller was making �£21k+. Reports are suggesting that Commons is looking for more like �£20k, closer to what Miller was making. It now looks like our player salary limit is restricted to only about 15% more than what Martin Bain is making himself.

Bain, IMO, cannot be blamed for what he makes by way of salary - complain to the Board about that one as they will set the CEO's salary (or the compensation committe, which would normally be ratified by the board). I know you are only using his salary as a benchmark and it does infuriate that he will get paid almost as well as the best paid player - but a case could be made (not in Bain's instance I may add....) that an astute CEO should actually get paid MORE than the players.

Back to the Commons debate though.... 14k would possibly be reasonable for him - but to pay him the same wage as Miller was on, given Miller's contribution to the side this year whilst Commons contribution is obviously an unknown, wouldnt make good financial sense IMO given our financial position.

Yes, Commons could work out great and be worth every penny - but are we really in a position to risk a 1 mill a year salary to find out ?

Tell me where ANY official of the club said we WILL sign anyone ? You cant. Simples.

Trying to sign players is different from actually signing them. So you want us to pay over the odds for Commons just so the club can prove that they are true to their word (a word that they never actually gave BTW) ?

Nonsense. Where are the lies ? There are plenty of them at Ibrox these days but certainly NOT with regards this situation.

Mate i never said we should or should not sign Commons. TBH if the rumurs are true he wants �£20k a week i would have told him to get to fuck aswell.

Edited by CumbernauldGers

Bain, IMO, cannot be blamed for what he makes by way of salary - complain to the Board about that one as they will set the CEO's salary (or the compensation committe, which would normally be ratified by the board). I know you are only using his salary as a benchmark and it does infuriate that he will get paid almost as well as the best paid player - but a case could be made (not in Bain's instance I may add....) that an astute CEO should actually get paid MORE than the players.

I agree, how may employees complain that they are only earning 15% more than the CEO? Football's a funny old game, eh? :)

Back to the Commons debate though.... 14k would possibly be reasonable for him - but to pay him the same wage as Miller was on, given Miller's contribution to the side this year whilst Commons contribution is obviously an unknown, wouldnt make good financial sense IMO given our financial position.

Yes, Commons could work out great and be worth every penny - but are we really in a position to risk a 1 mill a year salary to find out ?

We could afford to pay what Miller was making, but it basically looks like Bain has tried to get Commons in on �£14k and use the rest of Miller's wage to bring in the defender that Walter spoke about the other day when he said he'd like to bring in a defender on loan.