Okay, I get it. You are no fan of our Manager. But gonnae save the vitriol for Celtc?

I agree it is sad when a manager who has of course made mistakes but also won us plenty of trophies and got us to a european final in recent years gets slated like this from our own fans. Poor show.

alex mcleish won lots of trophies with a lot less money than smith had to spend and got us through the champions league group stages. he was hounded out the door.

Smith gave the mhanks a major league spycological advantage on sunday and made us look like a real bunch of losers. to be bitch slapped off that mob while our guttless manager stands by and watches thinking hes got it tactically right is more than i can stomach.

He should have been sacked after Kuanus and after Unirea. the embarrassment after those games was unreal. never in my life did i think anyone never mind smith would reach those lows again.

How wrong i was.

McLeish isn't exactly a hero, he did spend big on Arteta for example and got a third of his price 2 years later iirc, probably not his fault as he probably was told to cut back. He brought in players that are the worst to play for us in my lifetime. He also brought us a 3rd place finish again the worst in my lifetime.

alex mcleish won lots of trophies with a lot less money than smith had to spend and got us through the champions league group stages. he was hounded out the door.

How on earth McLeish's success and spending can be compared to Smith is beyond comprehension. Eck inherited a team that taking into account all players bought and sold by Advocaat, cost the club the astonishing sum of almost �£63 million. Even if you remove the �£12m signing of Flo from the equation, Advocaat still spent over �£50 million net building the team before handing it over to McLeish to run with. There's solid evidence to suggest that Eck won 5 of his 7 trophies with the team purely because of Advocaat and Murray's insane spending on the squad and the high quality of the players that Eck had at his disposal.

Smith gave the mhanks a major league spycological advantage on sunday and made us look like a real bunch of losers. to be bitch slapped off that mob while our guttless manager stands by and watches thinking hes got it tactically right is more than i can stomach.

He should have been sacked after Kuanus and after Unirea. the embarrassment after those games was unreal. never in my life did i think anyone never mind smith would reach those lows again.

How wrong i was.

Eck was hounded out for 3rd place in the SPL and no trophies. How does that compare with winning the league and league cup last season? Weirdest comparison I've seen for a long time and suggests an incredibly subjective point of view. I also really can't believe Eck had a significantly lesser net spend than Walter - especially based on inherited players used for more than a season, and I don't believe he had two years without being able to bring in a player. Not only that, an amount like �£4M is worth about half now than it was 5 years ago. English clubs are regularly buying players for �£30M+, so how much would Arteta and De Boer be in today's money?

Eck started off well with the team he inherited but ultimately he was rank in his final season. If we're third and win no trophies this season then perhaps Walter can be compared to him but not before. NO Rangers manager can survive such a season without an amazing previous track record. Walter's worst season in the SPL is finisihing 3pts behind Celtic after they cheated us - and that was while we were winning both cups and getting to the UEFA final.

We're currently virtual leaders of the league if you look at points per game, we're in the league cup final, we're still in the cup and after a reasonable showing in the CL we're still in the Europa league.

Do we really have to keep repeating Walter's record compared to everyone else?

If the Celtic game at the weekend is the your low point for Rangers then you can only have been supporting the team since Walter took over, or you are a very mixed up person who doesn't know the foggiest about football.

Results-wise, there is no justification whatsoever for "hounding out" Walter in any single season he was in charge. Eck's sackng was rightly deserved - and I wouldn't expect any manager to survive after a season like that (unless they had just won nine in a row or something).

I would say the post above is a low point in my time here on Gersnet.

I also really can't believe Eck had a significantly lesser net spend than Walter - especially based on inherited players used for more than a season

Looking purely at Eck's own transfer market dealings he didn't even have a net spend, he made a net profit of almost �£12m, but that was only possible because of Advocaat spending so much before handing Eck a quality team that didn't need major investment. I think Walter's net spend over the same period as Eck is between �£9m and �£10m, but Walter inherited a team that was nowhere near the class of the one Eck inherited.

As rbr mentioned in the first post, we're still in 4 competitions. That's good going considering our squad size and the fact that Jelavic has missed half the season. I'm not confident that we can progress far in the Europa League, but I'm not sure if a bunch of European games would be good for us anyway with such a small squad. We still have a great chance of winning the SPL as things stand, we're in the League Cup final and we can still progress in the Scottish Cup if we win our replay at the piggery. All in all there's still a fair chance that we can win silverware this season.

This is a silly comparison. I am not Walter's biggest fan but I'd have him over Eck any day. People forget how bad things became under Eck.

Remember when he managed to lose to Zizkov (sp?) with a side containing the likes of Klos, De Boer, Arteta, Numan, Arveladze etc?

Remember the signing of players such as Maniero, Mladenovic, Capucho, Jeffers, Ostenstad, Emerson, Bernard etc? Fair enough at times his budget was very tight but these guys weren't even SPL level never mind Rangers level. He at least had money to sign players capable of running and making a pass within a mile of their team mate

Remember losing to Celtic bout 200 times on the trot to the point where it felt like giving up the gulf was so big?

Remember finishing third in a 2 team league?

Whilst Walter has his limitations, McLeish was a fucking disaster towards the end and after he had to bring in his own players.

Also as mentioned above the fact Eck inherited such a better team is relevant. When he came in we had excellent players just needing a boot up the arse

The closest I've ever come to hating a Rangers manager was the latter part of the Eck era.

Edited by Totti

Looking purely at Eck's own transfer market dealings he didn't even have a net spend, he made a net profit of almost �£12m, but that was only possible because of Advocaat spending so much before handing Eck a quality team that didn't need major investment. I think Walter's net spend over the same period as Eck is between �£9m and �£10m, but Walter inherited a team that was nowhere near the class of the one Eck inherited.

Yeah Walter had to do something as he inherited some shockers from Le Guen and Eck (Most of Advocaats ones were gone). His net spend isn't bad but it was needed but we are still feeling the effects of Advocaats reign, plus our sales of players have been very average to say the least.

There are still positives about the season so far - we are indeed still in 4 comps.

But - we sold our major shareholder in goals (The Bank probably controlled this)

We have played some of the most dire football seen by employing negative tactics.

We played an OF game and having been 2-1 up, with a man advantage, employed said negative tactics.

We are playing a central defender who, in my eyes is a King of a man, but who is now not fit for purpose. We are playing too deep because he has no pace.

We have an owner who is trying to sell us, and this MAY be going through.

We have Management who do not defend the club, and seem to put more effort into vilifying the fans than ensure the team can string 2 passes together.

WS has been an outstanding servant to the club, but there has to be a time when they start to listen to the Fans. As we are told often enough - we are the life blood of the club...

I cannot think of any fan (I may be wrong) who was happy with the OF performance. If the present system, tactics and attitude continue, I fear for the very fabric of the club.