Now before I go any further this isn't a thread to back up Walter , the management team or anything else like that , I have just taken some time thinking about where we are at present after reading some of the usual knee jerk reaction not just on here but other sites as well .

When Walter came back , let's not kid ourselves we were on our knees literaly , financially , players wise ,demoralised and defeated , he gave us our pride back and trophies not forgetting that magical road to Manchester , something I will forever be greateful for , yes ther have been blips along the way ,Kaunus was a major setback , however the financial strings that bind us were loosened as Murray feared greater fans revolt than the usual pathetic attempts by us as a support to protest against him .

So after today's game what have we learned and where are we going , what we have learned is that we were poor , we seemed to lack desire and were more than happy seeing the game out , why is another story .

Our squad is the weakest just about in living memory , it's filled with older journeymen , promising kids and loan signings , with a smattering of actual scouted players ie Jelavic . The facts are really simple to me , if and when we are actually bought over and the shortsightedness of today's squad building are hopefully behind us , then players will be brought in not just because we can afford them and they will fill a hole in the squad , but because they are right for the team and the way the manager wants to play.

EHD had a good game today , but dont kid yourself on ,he was a desperation signing, we found out at 5 pm he was available and that Blackburn would cover the majority of his wages , the management team are getting slaughtered all over the place , but in their shoes how would you react , how would you go about building a side after losing your top goalscorer and not getting the transfer fee , reality time guys the fact we are still in all competitions is IMHO remarkable .

Compare that to the taigs , they sold their alleged top player and brought in roughly 14 players , all were scouted , all were brought in intentionally to fit into a plan ,cast aside your opinions on them as a club or a team ,emotions and rivalry always cloud the issue .

We brought in Beattie because we thought Jelavic was not going to sign , Weiss is only on loan and flits in and out , we dont really play him in a set position , only Jelavic can be really counted as class .

Whether we win this league or not is up in the air , the way things are going and with yet another year of fixture congestion I would put it at 60-40 against , IMHO our only real hope for the future is that we get seperated from Murray asap , I think we all agree on that , whether this guy Whyte is the answer only time will tell , but the thought of reducing the squad further and being unable to offer contracts yet again to our top players frightened me to death .

Finally , I hope walter is remembered for what he has done and the great times he has brought us , yes at times his formations are hair pulling , but at this time this bear is glad he is at the helm and I hope for all our sakes that the future is bright ....:drink:

As someone mentioned the other day the last few weeks have had 1998 feeling all over again. And to an extent a lot of similarities like:

1) WS annoucing he is stepping down at the end of the season - This is something Im not a fan of at all regardless if his replacement is No.2 and I cant believe WS did this again. It was ONE reason we failed 10IAR.

2) Resistance to drop players when they look jaded when a match on the bench would do them good (Weir, Davis, McCulloch).

3) Letting a top player leave during the season - Millers goals were blasting us towards the title at one point. (although the bank may have called this one). I remember Gazza left to join Middlesboro around March 98 yet Andy Goram has always been quoted as saying he believes that is another reason that cost us 10IAR as a half fit Gazza would have still won us points.

Edited by Gribz

I agree with what you say rbr and Walter has largely done a fine job.

However, I for one, am getting very frustrated with our overly defensive outlook and his apparent inability to change both that and several players' attitudes during games.

I agree with what you say rbr and Walter has largely done a fine job.

However, I for one, am getting very frustrated with our overly defensive outlook and his apparent inability to change both that and several players' attitudes during games.

That's one of the points I was trying to expose , how many of those players are already looking at the future and seeing themselves else where , loan signings are never fully committed common sense tells you that .

Even simple deals such as Papac's is still unfinished , we are a rudderless ship from above Walter , but the buck is stopping with him .

Walter always resorts to type , he will not replace Weir with the young Arsenal boy , that's one reason why we always sit deep , to protect the defence , when we play well we play high up the park and press teams , this season has dissappointment and disaster written all over it unfortunately , and all the blame will be heaped onto Wattie

im sorry i do not see smith as the messiah that he is made out to be. I would have sacked him after Kunaus and i would have sacked him after last seasons CL campaign.

But to allow your team to be bitch slapped by your biggest rivals on your own back yard when they are down to 10 men is damned disgraceful and pathetic. I thought i had seen and been to my lowest ebb as a rangers fan when i first heard of our debt problem all those years back but yesterdays performance scraped the scum off the bottom of the barrel and brought a level of embarrassment i never knew existed. Yet again we are the laughing stock of scottish football because of smith tactics.

I am fucking raging with our spineless cunt of a manager and will hold the biggest fuckoff party this side of the millenium when the bastard leaves.

the worse thing is that both Mccoist and Smith are defending their tactics and actually think they got ot right yesterday.

and that is a very worrying thing indeed.

Thanks to smith and his shite tactics my son doesnt want to support Rangers and after our pityful show i have come round to his way of thinking. i wont set foot inside Ibrox untill the lame cunt is out the front door in the summer.

im sorry i do not see smith as the messiah that he is made out to be. I would have sacked him after Kunaus and i would have sacked him after last seasons CL campaign.

But to allow your team to be bitch slapped by your biggest rivals on your own back yard when they are down to 10 men is damned disgraceful and pathetic. I thought i had seen and been to my lowest ebb as a rangers fan when i first heard of our debt problem all those years back but yesterdays performance scraped the scum off the bottom of the barrel and brought a level of embarrassment i never knew existed. Yet again we are the laughing stock of scottish football because of smith tactics.

I am fucking raging with our spineless cunt of a manager and will hold the biggest fuckoff party this side of the millenium when the bastard leaves.

the worse thing is that both Mccoist and Smith are defending their tactics and actually think they got ot right yesterday.

and that is a very worrying thing indeed.

Thanks to smith and his shite tactics my son doesnt want to support Rangers and after our pityful show i have come round to his way of thinking. i wont set foot inside Ibrox untill the lame cunt is out the front door in the summer.

Okay, I get it. You are no fan of our Manager. But gonnae save the vitriol for Celtc?

I think Gersnet is one of the last places you'll get a big knee jerk reaction to a defeat which I've seen on other Gers forums time and time again. I agree, we should take Smith's achievements in context with what's going on at the club just now and be grateful for the trophies he's delivered.

The flip side of the coin is that Smith has made mistakes, some of which are painfully obvious to all (some of the players signed and fees paid) and some of which could be argued we have no right/authority to criticise him about as we're not a manager - players out of position, reluctance to drop guys who aren't performing, use of squad, tactical choices etc. Many just seem really illogical to me and we often don't seem to play to our strengths and seem scared to attack teams in the SPL.

I admit, I don't know the facts and I don't have his experience, so that's my caveat to what I'm going to say, which also isn't a "Smith is crap" which isn't true.... Is it too much to expect, given how much money we've spent on wages and fees compared with every other SPL club, bar Celtic, for us to be playing a better standard of football and more comfortably beating those other clubs? Would another manager be better able to motivate and use the players that Smith has at his disposal? That's been bugging me ever since Smith came in and steadied the ship so to speak.

Walter got allot wrong yesterday, but there are too many things going on in the background that he maybe privy to but we are not.

Tactics are being dictated by our slowest player - that is wholey wrong. Wier is a King and can read the game back to front. But his reading can't give him an extra yard. He has dramatically slowed this year.

Our team looked bereft of ideas and passion. And some looked dead on their legs after 60 minutes.

Davies missed a sitter.

Nik missed a a great chance by passing it for Davies...

Greegs kept us in the game with an outstanding save. And the linesman did us a favour aswell witht he Greek Tramp running through.

Naismith should be ashamed.

All in all there is very little to be happy about yesterday. Ness' goal aside, and the move that culminated in Nik's missed chance we were devoid of momentum.

Is Ally the right man?

I agree this smacks of 98. I found it again very strange when it was announced this would be his last year, and that Ally would be the next Manager.

I do not believe he is good enough to lead us as Manager, but that is my opinion.

When you replace a manager you look to do one of two things in the process. You either select someone who will maintain a desirable status quo or you choose someone who will deliberately bring change and improvement.

Obviously, if things are going well and you are enjoying success then you want more of the same. On the other hand, if things are not going so good then you want to lead things in a very different direction. All of which is hardly rocket science.

So what does Rangers need? More of the same or a new direction? And the answer to that simple question is the reason why McCoist cannot be the choice after Walter Smith.

The club is crying out for regeneration, a new start, that only new blood can bring. Fail to do that and we will waste a huge opportunity.

Guest BillyMac

i will be the first to admit that I am not walter biggest fan but yesterday was a new low for me 2 1 up 11 against 10 to stand and watch them pass the ball with no challange and at times three of the mhankie mob passing around two bears what was the rest of our team doing and this at a time when we had still 11 on the park it was just embarasing to be sitting so deep 11 against 10 and 2 1 up i will never understand it