Next Season's manager

Who do you want as manager next year  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager next year

• McCoist with a member of current staff as assistant
    • McCoist with an outside assistant
    • New manager, McCoist as assistant
    • New manager, new assistant

Would prefer a bigger name but will wait and see how McCoist does first. One thing I think is that he needs a good assistant to come in. No disrespect to McDowall but I think you need a team of 3 with 1 having big experience.

I think thats whats worked well for McLeish last year at Birmingham, he brought in Roy Aitken as well as Andy Watson who was bit out of his depth IMO.

Would prefer a bigger name but will wait and see how McCoist does first. One thing I think is that he needs a good assistant to come in. No disrespect to McDowall but I think you need a team of 3 with 1 having big experience.

I think thats whats worked well for McLeish last year at Birmingham, he brought in Roy Aitken as well as Andy Watson who was bit out of his depth IMO.

I can't think of many bigger names, at least in terms of Rangers and Scotland than Ally McCoist. Not alive or under 60 anyway. He's not only big in football but with his highly prized media reputation he could easily be taking Andy Gray's old job.

I think sometimes familiarity breeds contempt.

I agree he needs a good assistant - but it has to been an assistant, not a successful, former manager - unless it's someone totally prepared to be the number two.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind the likes of Richard Gough as number two.

I wouldn't mind the likes of Richard Gough as number two.

That's actually a cracking suggestion cal, although I honestly do think it'll be Kenny McDowall and don't have an issue with that.

As Metlika said, there's going to be players leaving in the summer. The loan signings plus Weir and there's also Papac who hasn't signed his contract extension yet AFAIK. There's also a bunch of players who'll be out of contract next summer (2012), so the new management team are going to be literally forced to build their own squad. Their level of success next season will largely depend on what players they bring in this summer and in January next year.

Leaving aside the issue of resources and money to spend, the new manager is as much about change and momentum as it is about being a football guru. We need a manager every bit as much as we need a tactical genius. Souness taught us that and PLG confirmed it.

It needs to be about energising the staff, the dressing room and the support. McCoist cannot do it, regardless of what any of us think of him, because as the manager-in-waiting his appointment will always be low-impact. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to appoint Gough as manager and Ian Ferguson as his assistant. The counter-argument will be that Gough has little or no management experience but he's a leader, a football man, a Rangers man and has the character for the job. That would do for me and I have no doubt whatsoever that the appointment would electrify the support.

However, if we don't have a new owner by the summer it won't matter if we appoint Mickey mouse to the managers office. Murray will never allow Gough to be appointed anyway, which is the best recommendation anyone could have.

Steve Clarke a good shout but now liverpool assistant manager .

im my dreams id have michael laudrup and wilkins but in reality we have to give mccoist a chance next year with wilkins alongside him.

if he does shit then we change them but one thing ally will have some job on his hands come summer with squad reconstuction, lets hope murray has sold us by then

It needs to be about energising the staff, the dressing room and the support. .

Agreed, that's needed, but a good assistant appointment can do that.

a leader, a football man, a Rangers man and has the character for the job. .

I think that's missing on and off the field just now. The next captain appointment is going to be important too.

I'd much rather have Wilkins than Gough.

Wilkins would be my first choice also. He is a bit like Steve Clarke that he is a better No.2 than No.1 but just having around the place would put in such a lift.