The general recognition of Weir's contribution is so typical of Rangers fans. Despite some of the nonsense posted on forums by people intent on pursuing one agenda or another, in my experience Rangers fans always appreciate the real thing. The fact there has been so much negative comment in recent years is because there has been so much to comment negatively about. If the reaction to our captain appears to buck the trend it's because our captain himself has bucked the growing trend of mediocrity that is sweeping over the club. Almost alone in the current squad, SDOW shows the character of a Rangers player. The goal for Rangers is to have more of the same on the park at the same time. We'll have mended most of Murray's damage if that happens.

I would agree that he has been Walter's best signing second time around, and by quite some distance at that.

I am saddened to see such a sharp decline this season, and to see him getting beaten regularly by the likes of nonentities like Hooper is tarnishing the memories slightly.

A first rate Rangers Captain in the true sense like Gough and Greig before him, and a man who realises that Rangers captain is a 24/7/365 appointment, not a 90 mins armband wearer.

I hope we can win this title for Walter and Weir to depart as the Champions they most certainly are.

Would like to see him as a first team coach next season because I think with his American training he has a sporting and conditioning knowledge that we lack at the club. I also think he would make a good manager, though it is hard to judge that. I would happily see him having involvement on the touchline next season, he would be able to provide tactical insight at least defensively.

He has done great for us but I also don't think he should not play in any more important matches because he's a poor defender now and a liabilty. He is almost 41 and has now completely lost all abilty, nothing wrong with that. What is wrong is Walter's insistence in picking him and setting his side out to accomodate him.

Edited by Totti

I dont think he has lost all ability Totti, I think he has lost any pace he possessed, which wasnt much anyway. It is being exposed more easily. I think he still reads the game as well as he always did but father time isnt just catching up with him but has overtaken him.

We talk about "Rangers class" and how we havent had true Rangers class for a long time. I think Sir David (that is Weir, not Murray... just for you MF ;) ) is true Rangers class, not just in the way he plays but in the way he handles himself off the field as well.

It really is quite simple, it has been a season too far - probably not even the full season - he looked fine the first few games of the season but quickly deteriorated.

Either way, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE DAVIE.

Hopefully will be retained by McCoist on the coaching staff, but I thought he always saw himself back south with his family which would make that toughter ?

Hindsight says he has played on 1 year too many but can it be argued WS has ruined him this season in playing him non stop??? Going into a season with about 5 defenders is dreadful but knowing 1 of them is 40 and has to be played slowly is another thing.

Cracking centre half on his day, and wish we got him 12 years ago but it doesnt auto qualify him for management material.

I'm not going to dampen this thread, because God knows we need to be positive, but Weir's awful now, and as some have said, threatens to undo all the good work of his previous seasons.

He shouldn't be playing now, Bartley should start in his place, and the first thing Ally can do is to persuade him to retire. Or plain not pick him.

Most older players play on till they have a bit of a bad season - why retire if you're playing well? This is the season that will see him hang up his boots but he can hold his head high. He's got at least 6 winners medals and a UEFA cup runners up medal and he's been pivotal in the teams that achieved them. He's certainly Rangers class to me.